Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Hype. Cheers man <3

1 Like

Now we all got to hope gaijin don’t pull a gaijin and decide to “fix” the game sounds again, ruining all their hard work for another year or two. It wouldn’t be strange if it happened only once but gaijin seem to have a trend of shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to their sounds. I remember the update I finally decided to take off epic thunder as the base sounds were that good just for them to be changed next update to the worst yet.

1 Like

Hi Gunjob has there been anything new from gaijin regarding the Bug reports on the TES/OES ERA & Backing plate? or should we expect news about these from the same time as the “refinements” are completed?

2 Likes

Don’t have any updates yet.

6 Likes

Nothing like shooting the side of a T90M, putting a round right into his ammo carousel, and it doing nothing.
Only for him to return fire, put one through your mantlet, and detonate yours.

5 Likes

So Challenger 1s Mid Life Improvement upgrade with L30 shows in it’s protection drawing that very specifically the mantlet also has 550KE protection. This is news to me.
(Image from baron tiberius)

8 Likes

CR1 or CR2?

Image has UK Secret wrote on it, waiting for the mods to remove it in 3…2…

1 Like

yes but the UK made the CR2 because the CR1 was over armored and in the spirit of fairness they decided the CR2 should have less armour.

2 Likes

Well, i have seen it a few times on forum, but idk
also that would mean removing Gunjob too

@TheWarmFridge your username hurts me in multiple different ways

3 Likes

disregard then

where is this from? id like to read it

To be entirely fair there is the very realistic possibility its declassified from National Archives just he hasn’t posted the confirmation from NA with it.

However, tea time.

note it calls it inefficient(no composite), not weak, high chance of Fk because the design leads the rotor bearings vulnerable to jamming.

1 Like

bruh theres no regen steering in the roadmap…

“Not a valid source”

We need to wait for Russia to make a tank with regenerative steering, and for it to be added to the game. Then regen steering will be added.

It says inefficient, but in game it’s like 250-300mm KE protection. That’s basically half.

3 Likes

So… the IS-1?

Where i can find more info about this modification?

2 Likes

Played the OES enough now to get free aced crew.

Now gonna play the TES to spade it.

Pray for my sanity.

there isnt much left.

I don’t see a TTD thread on the new forums so I guess I will ask you guys about your opinions on the topic.

I think that the TTD model we have got in game was given as much care as a foster-kid in an abusive familly.

Let me begin with the LFP armour. As we know, the Union of South Africa had many restrictions about importing weapons. They wanted to do their own thing (with a slight help from KMW) and the TTD was born.

In game it’s an alright tank, the only problem I get with it are the RPMs on the gear ratios making it more sluggish than a spaded CR1 MK.2 and the reload.

In spite of that, I think the model was done very poorly.

1. Lower front plate armour. I don’t think the game representation is accurate at all. The structural steel (which is a inheritance from the Centurions) is sticking to the UFP and goes to the bottom of the floor, the driver’s legs do not exceed further than the backing of the UFP. Bearing in mind that KMW has influenced that project, I cannot believe that the LFP is just one plate of steel. Let me give my visualisation:
    ttd1

There is a lot of space between the front-facing plate and the structucal steel, allowing the LFP to have at least some amount of composite armour (In consequence - any HE shell just 1HKO’s yo ass when hit). But I can’t find any sources on that, I believe that the only people who know if my thoughts are correct or not are the people involved in the creation of the tank and the South African Armour Museum staff.

1. The armour on the gun shield is displayed with a composition that is thicker the cheeks, but is actually both weaker and thinner.

1. The model has some strange (IMO) bends and dents on the left cheek (frontal perspective). The plate on the cheek is 1-2.5 degree more inclined from top to bottom. It looks like the rolling process has failed and in the end the plated that was welded wasn’t fully straight. It is the same case for the gun shielf. I don’t know if it’s the case in real life. I can’t figure it out from the images I got to see on the web. Maybe someone knows?

ttd3

That being said. I really enjoy the tanks and play it alogside the Vickers mk.7 and both Challengers. It has the capability to play at 10.3 no problem. I really fancy the idea that Britain can have some meta tanks like the Leo2A4 and base M1 - the Vic and TTD kinda fills thier roles in the UK tree.

What do you think?

9 Likes