Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

There are other materials that are fine that can be used and have been in the past. It only pertains to “the image” in question.

Fair enough

Is there any sort of report already in for the challenger TES’s ERA lacking a housing (unlike relikt or k5, with some 20mm HHRA) which results in it being prone to damage or exploding entirely from machinegun fire and spalling along with chain detonation (certain ATGMs can cause 3 or 4 blocks to detonate, practically nullifying an entire side’s protection)?

Similarly, slat armour falls off exceptionally easy (the turret loses ALL of its slat protection to any shot hitting the rear half?), and the composite armour either side of the turret, despite being composite, falls off just like ERA too.

2 Likes

Not sure if its been mentioned, but if we are getting more detailed models, I’d like to see the turret getting a little more detail around the sides and back too… I know the Chally 2 has removable panels that go around it, but I’ve never seen them ACTUALLY removed in pictures before. though there are some pictures of a model made by a company called “Accurate Armour” who have a challenger 2 turret without the additional armour, that you can add on. there seems to be a hatch or something behind one of the sides which made me think that, the hinges and what not on that would surely act as some additional armour in some way, no?

((before anyone asks, the model is now discontinued sadly.))

edit: because this is a model made by a company and not pictures of the official vehicle or documents, I’m assuming it’s nothing classified or illegal.

source: https://accurate-armour.com/aa-products/135th-accessories/a053t

they have all sorts of things on there from filler caps, to the dozer blade, to the engine you can put into it. really nice details.

RBSL published a picture of one without the external stowage on
https://x.com/RH_BAES_Land/status/1805989946311717204/photo/1

Here’s a photo of the hinge

Spoiler

1 Like

That’s quite unhinged of you (Sorry)

3 Likes

You know, out of all things, how th do you have a picture of that hinge, and why?

1 Like

V9 is on display in Newcastle

Blow out panel 100% :')

4 Likes

Someone took some photos of V9 and added them to street view

I’m assuming thats the hinge to the door bit on the sides, not the hinge to the armour plating itself?

wonder what its for? moving ammo in+out? access to radio equipment/electronics for maintenance? wouldn’t make sense to be a blowout panel seeming as there are bag charges in the floor of the turret, so i assume its something to do with maintenance. still, if it leads to a compartment, it would be nice to see that compartment modelled with some thin metal inside the turret. could be another layer of spawl protection and the door modelled as its own thickness, comparative to the armour around it. currently the xray shows it as a flat spot when clearly it should have that door.

i’d like the turret to have each layer of armour individually modelled. from the outer layers of those side wing parts, to the wall behind it, to whatever is behind that. it would be complex, but maybe the layering would help it. after-all, thats why gaijin added volumetric in the first place right? to see what rounds do with funky armour layouts and impact angles.

i try not to question these things, but the more detail we have, the better!

It’s really just mostly FCS, ABC and Storage

1 Like

Also have fun looking at the engine bay

5 Likes

I wonder if it’ll ever get its dozer in-game, it’s there in the CDK

When we get an option that will block one upgrade when the other is equipped, without connecting them with a arrow

The side armour there looks thicker than the rear armour, which makes sense

Ingame its 38mm sides and 50mm rear, which makes no sense

probably still think we design tanks like the excelsior.

1 Like

we kinda already have that, with the t-72b3 with its engine upgrade and some of the thermals on russian tanks. gotta have one to get the next but can only have one or the other.