Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

I see what you mean, however, the point still stands that the study shows that hydrogas suspension has better performance than just torsion bar suspension.

Does that mean torsion bar based suspension systems (with for example hydraulic dampeners) cannot achieve similar results to hydrogas suspension? No, they can. However, a purely torsion bar based system will be worse than a hydrogas system.

We are not nescessarily comparing just the Challenger 2 and the Leopard 2 for example, where the Leopard 2 has a more complex suspension system than just torsion bars.

There are many tanks ingame, mostly Russian/Chinese, which for sets of wheels they are either entirely or partially just on torsion bars with no dampeners. These types of vehicles should have worse suspension characteristics than more advanced suspension systems, including hydrogas. I cannot see external dampeners on the M1 Abrams, however, they may be internal.

Suspension is a very complex thing, however we can still conclude that tanks that soley or partially rely on purely torsion bar suspension should have worse performance than hydrogas suspension (or more advanced types of torsion bar suspension, including addition of dampeners)

1 Like

The study also compares the 1960s torsion suspension of the BMP-1 to one of the most modern InArm systems, and it fails to account for the BMP’s suspension having fewer shock absorbers, and they’re likely not even of friction or hydraulic type, despite what I had stated before. As far as I’m concerned, this study cannot be used for making comparisons or stating that hydrogas is “superior” at any level other than in the specific case of the BMP-1.

We are not nescessarily comparing just the Challenger 2 and the Leopard 2 for example, where the Leopard 2 has a more complex suspension system than just torsion bars.

That is kind of my point. Leopard 2 uses a more complex system than a simple swing-arm like the BMP-1, so it can match or, in some cases, outperform hydrogas systems. On top of that, nobody in this day and age designs their suspensions to not use both past and recent developments, such as, for example, the advanced friction dampener system that can be found on the Leopard 2A7V.

To my knowledge, there haven’t been any recent or past studies that compared torsion and hydrogas suspensions in an unbiased way. Our best bet would be, not even gonna lie, to wait for somebody crazy enough to go and make measurements on the Leoaprd 2A7Vs suspension and compare it to the Challenger 3s 3rd generation hydrogas system. These two are the pinnacle of their respective suspension schools of thought, after all.

I cannot see external dampeners on the M1 Abrams, however, they may be internal.

That’s because it barely has any.

Spoiler

1 Like

So the M1 Abrams really is an almost entirely torsion bar based system?

it’s complex, but essentially my final point is that tanks ingame have different (and sometimes superior or inferior) suspensions systems, which should be modelled.

I would rather they model torque & regenerative steering first. IMO far more important than individual features of different suspension systems.

1 Like

Agreed, regenerative steering could genuinely save a lot of British tanks from their currently snails pace gameplay.

I imagine a suspension change could come if they ever decide to make stabilisers more detailed, its not really accurate that the Centurion Mk.2 and Leopard 2A7 have just as good stabilisation as eachother. Suspension effectiveness could not only effect mobility, but also fire accuracy on the move.

Interestingly enough, the CV12 engine actually provides more torque than the MTU engine when both are uprated to 1500hp (around 6% more)

Id ask for a nice CVT Transmission and Regen which would effect a good amount of nations (not russia)
tho now that I think of it does the Chinese have regen…

I cant see them ever making stabs like IRL as soviet and by extension even modern russian stabs are dogshit lmao, if youve ever seen anything but T90M fire on the move then you know.

I thought by modelling autoloaders they might have been actually taking Russian tank’s weaknesses seriously, but no, the autoloaders just eat spall now lol

1 Like

Dont be silly, if they ever started treating things like the T80s reasonably they might lose sales.

Who would have thought, shocker. This actually makes me think, do the spall liners on Chally 2s work… uh, continue to work as intended? Asking because Gaijin broke Leopard 2s liners a while ago and still hasn’t fixed them.

I mean chally 2 is still missing 75% of its hull spall liners so…

1 Like

Ye that is not what i’m asking for tbh. I haven’t had the opportunity to compare Chally 2s spall cone to 2A7Vs, which is why I’m asking if y’all know if it still works “as intended” (i.e by reducing the angle of the spall cone).

Challenger 2

Side of Turret

Hull Front

Challenger 3 TD

Side of Turret

Hull Front

I don’t know what you use to measure the angle but here’s pictures at least.

Ok ye, Chally 2s liners are also borked (although to a lesser degree it seems). Looks like they’ve (Gaijin) broken (nerfed?) all of them.

3 Likes

Never thought that Gaijin would stealth nerf all spall liners after the leopard 2 spall nerf.

3 Likes

It was never Leo 2 only, Spall liner has the same code for all tanks

1 Like

They can change it tho, the material itself (aramide fabric) is more of a preset, kinda like leo_2A5_nera

1 Like

ik im late to the suspension argument but here, have challenger 2 getting its suspension thrashed on trials

3 Likes

Well, exactly… how is it ever going to be proven that the hydrogas system has better offroad performance than a torsion bar system? Because at the end of the day, a good torsion bar system will be superior to a bad hydrogas system and vice versa. It’s like saying a diesel engine can go faster than a gas turbine engine.

1 Like

Gun looks very stable and the crewman sticking out the top doesnt look like he is being jostled around too much

2 Likes