Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

I mean if you look bellow the Aspro you’ll notice it’s reverted back to its old “composite” from the changed 40+60mm plate it had before…. It’s went back in a lot of places so I think this was what they were gonna go for but forgot to change it back…

Well… Only one thing for it. Time for a Tsunami of bug reports.

Just make sure:

1. they cover 1 topic/part only
  2. if you plan on submitting multiple, share them after you’ve created them all and avoid spamming the almighty Gunjob.

I’ll try and make sure the bug list is up to date. Though I do need to do a bit of an overhaul on the layout at somepoint.

2 Likes

This appears to be the same dust cover. You see the bolts on top are holding to the actual plate underneath (likely with L brackets). This does show some sort of thinner backer plate but this could just be part of the mounting system.

this would make little sense mechanically, because you then have a massive air gab to the actual plate

It makes much sense because they don’t mount the thicker plate directly to the tank. There is a thin plate which is mounted to the tank perhaps only above the tracks, not clear, then seemingly a space and the thicker “backing” plate, all of this capped with a dust cover. I’m looking for a higher res image, but see my sketch below.

Much better image, you can see the edges of the various parts:

the thing is, this is supposed to be ridged and withstand blasts as well as direct kinetic impacts, mounting it the way you drew would mean the forward plate is only held in place by the blue part which would make it increadibly unstable

No I assume the large bolts you see on the outside go into the mounting plate, I just didn’t draw them. The bracket I drew is just for the dust cover, you can see the aligned pairs of small bolts on the photograph

Additionally, they probably do this because the mounting points on the tank itself are not all level. Notice the large bolts on the side plate run in a straight line (no vertical deviation). The mounting points on the tank have deviation:

Well, let me post some pictures

Here it is. The hook shape mount at the top and arms below that hold plates in place

2 Likes

Nice find, so this is the “mounting” plate I’m talking about. Not entirely sure what the U shaped is for given the main plate would bolt into those mounting fixtures. Maybe its both.

Let me grab paint

Something like that

This screws are also used to secure the plate

1 Like

I guess that might take some of the vertical load off the upper bolts. Also intersting the last lower strut shows where the plate offset is:

Images

This may be correct but I think maybe the plate above the clasp may be thicker as it’s the only part not covered by the aspro other than the bottom so you would think it would want a bit more protection against autocannon fire.

That area is also protected by the sponson fuel tanks. I can’t be thicker because we can see the bolt mounts welded to the mounting plate that provide the spacing, and if it were thicker there would be little reason for the top cover plate.

gaijin fixed the TTD

However, you can not found the rotor and pin. They still use the old mantlet and just copy the dev data to here.

(DEV)

also the thickness of the mantlet in dev is 200

@DevilO6 @Fireball_2020

1 Like

Lmafo