Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Ok, so who is writing FOI to UK gov hoping we get the answear to the eternal backplate debate?

I think i’m on the watchlist already so I don’t think I can.

Im not even from UK so im also out ;)

ffs just call an auto shop and see if a cr2 has come in with a flat tire, tell them to take photos.

Anyone got a shot of a naked TES with all the mountings visible?

Nope, best i can give you is 2G, so maybe the same backplate, not sure

Aye so the entire top of the baseplate has a shroud over it and extends all the way back:

But you can already mount the full width plate because that shoud is making up for the lost solid steel.
In blue, is where your mounting brackets and bolt come from. In red, the shroud is attached to the bracket and makes up that missing space from the half width. This is effectively now an airgap.
The purple is your actual plate width for the front.

On the full thickness plates, both Red and Purple are combined into the solid plate. You still mount to blue, and the bolt goes the same distance, you’ve just replaced the airgap with solid steel

3 Likes
Spoiler

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa this damn picture again!!!

No deal… haha I need a TES, if the mounting bar is there in the same location I think the reasoning is sound that the plate is 40mm the whole way and the reason the front and rear plates appear to be the only thin ones is due to the way they need to be mounted.

The driver section needs to be further from the mud guard and the rear is bolted in a different way that permits it to be flush to the armour.

Well, then sadly i cant be of help. I have never seen yet TES/OES wit side plate removed, only with ECM, Blocks and slats removed

OO, another 12.7 on ENFORCER

1 Like

@Gunjob So effetively it goes:
For the front
STEEL PLATE 40MM > AIRGAP 40MM > MOUNTING BRACKET

For the middle sections
STEEL PLATE 80MM > MOUNTING BRACKET

For the rear section
AIRGAP > STEEL PLATE 40MM > MOUNTING BRACKET

3 Likes

The rear section is much thinner, around 20 iirc

LOOK WHAT I FOUND
And it is a MEGATRON (DT 22 AA) but im not sure in what confing, as MEG was aslo in 2G iirc
Yep it was aslo in 2G

And iirc the 2H added mine protection, so probably 2G
So this remain useless, at least we are sure that 2G had plate of the same thicness

1 Like

@Gunjob
Something like this. Essentially the shroud is just acting as a filler 40mm space for the front section and the main middle sections are the full 80mm

Photo for reference:

Spoiler

IMG_20240118_165809

Just as a orientation red line is basically where aspro starts ( under the mounting of the tow rope)

Spoiler

1 Like

I get where you’re getting confused Gunjob, but the shroud + half thickness plate is 80mm
The full plate takes up the same 80mm width you have at the front, only this time, there’s solid material inside.

1 Like

We know this part can’t be a shroud either, as ASPRO-HMT has to mount flush to the solid backing plate as seen in Warriors install:
02aec77527022338835e18996e0c06cbef4f4267_2_750x1000

But how? The bracket is flush to the back of the plate

and the outside of the armour is one flat piece?

The geometry of the plate would need to have a cut into it or be 40mm in the top hull area and 80mm below the mount.

It would have to look like this;

Which would mean the plates top half is milled away as we cannot see a join or seam.

Thats a 2G, unless we are sure that it has the same plate as 2H it can be used only as a loose reference, and 2G has the plate 40mm all the way