Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

there’s a dust shroud over the top of the base plate yes. The middle section is thicker, with Aft and Forward sections of the plate being half thickness.

Seen here, you can see the aft baseplate is half of the thickness of the middle section which juts out. On the vertical cutaway we can see that’s one solid block there.
On this image however, we see it’s got a dust shroud and is half the thickness at the front.
d5b68eca32fecb396137185ab30b4c4c0438914e_2_1000x750
Here we can see the base plate is divided into 4 segments -

We know the aft section is recessed. The middle section becomes thicker and the front section is half thickness, flush with the middle’s outside facing wall.
ASPRO-HMT has to be flush on its backing plate, which the Dust Shroud theory doesn’t support.
Looking at Warrior’s installation, we see the bricks are flush on the plate:
02aec77527022338835e18996e0c06cbef4f4267_2_750x1000

Therefore, it makes sense that the 2 middle plates are thicker as they are load bearing, provide additional protection to the fighting compartment and ASPRO sits flush on them, meaning they must be solid.

1 Like

Checkmate

Spoiler

It is a model, so no source at all, or is it?

4 Likes

Models are not a source sorry.

Aww :/

Would’ve been great if so.

1 Like

Fair points you make, but this photo shows the shoud taking up the full width with the plate facing outwards:
d5b68eca32fecb396137185ab30b4c4c0438914e_2_1000x750
We see the bolt goes through the shroud which extend down, while the plate is ontop of the shroud. So effectively, the airgap + half width baseplate = 1 full width middle section.
There’s no space issues here, because the shroud is already acting as filler for where real full metal would be.
here’s a top down

1 Like

heres my take on the plates

here is where i think the backplste ends

here is the front of the plate where there is no gap bacause the backplate ended before

and here is the back proving theres a plate behind this front plate as there a gap

sry i dont know how to put spoilers

1 Like

Ok so here i go and throw mysel into this pit of fun.
We know the engine plate, and we know the first part of the plate has to be thinner due to front fender
How thicc is 2nd and 3rd part is a mystery
and cover just exist

In other words @Gunjob, the shroud fills in the missing space and reduces weight, but is effectively the same thickness as a full width middile sections.

In red we can see the airgap of the shroud being roughly the same width as the actual plate.
The steel plates thickness we can see in Orange.
Combining the orange and red thicknesses, you get what we see in blue, which is the width of the middle sections.

2 Likes

Can we start marking pictures as spoilers now, im going to see challenger skirts in my nightmares with the amount of times ive seen the same pictures over and over.

lol i agree but do i mark as spoilers?

How-about-no GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 Like

Here, let me cure you

Spoiler

1 Like

Everytime I hear/read the words “dust cover” my mind goes back, kicking and screaming, to SA80/L98 Weapons Handling lessons “And do up the Dust Cover”

god help us all, we’ve gone insane.

1 Like

Devil man please I beg not that video.

Sorry, but name obliges

now i’m hearing the lyrics for the devil went down to georgia.

My therapist and counsellors are gonna have the time of their lives next week

This is almost right but from the photos the shroud is flush with the hull and doesn’t stop at the mounting bar/bracket so it would look like this;

To recap:

From front to back -
The first section is half thickness plate, with the shroud filling the airgap between it and the hull. A bolt passes through both, securing them in place.

The second and third section (Middle plate No.1 and No.2) is a full thickness metal plate. We know this has to be the case because ASPRO-HMT cannot be mounted onto a shroud (As seen by Warrior IFV’s install) and we have photos like this that show the side of the middle plates are solid double thickness.

This would also make sense as the blocks as several tons heavy, and additional thickness would be required to support them while also adding protection to the fighting compartment.
The final piece of the plate is the aft section, which is noticably thinner and bares no weight on it.

1 Like