Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

@HyJetV great minds think alike

If that truly is OES, then OES3 i was looking around for is DL2E package…

Incorrect behaviour of Ammunition on British MBTs using HESH // Gaijin.net // Issues

Input appreciated if able and relevant

2 Likes

Gaijin: I think the British cartridge is the same as the Russian cartridge, the warhead also has the propellant so it can be detonated
Xddddddddd

Probably more like:

“Shell go big boom when fired. Must also go big boom when hit”

3 Likes

Why does the armor penetration of the HESH not depend on the tratill equivalent?
Conway 120mm HESH has 3 kg of t.e. And a.p 152мм
Chieftain and chellenger have 6.7 kg of t.e but a.p is same.

6 Likes

The issue of armor in War Thunder is exasperating, you have the mantlet of the M48 and M60 with a 105 barrel that has been of a completely incorrect thickness for more than 9 years and nothing has yet been done about it. There is also the M48A2GA2, which suffers from the same problem as the centurion Mk10, they forgot to give it the armor inside the mantlet, when despite not finding data, I would bet anything that what the M48A2GA2 has is the mantlet of the M48 and on it is that mantlet that can be seen in the model, giving it a tablelet thickness much larger than the 152mm it has right now.
I made a report a while ago, but did not receive a response.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/69hK8WD1K3YU

1 Like

apparently not a bug that they can’t change the amount of HESH and Sabot in the X-ray

alternatively they could turn off the ability for HESH to explode given its a modern enough round, whilst i couldn’t definitively prove it without any docs of my own, i found something on old forum which suggested it might be inert when not with the propellant

However that’d mean being nice to Britain mains, which we all know is illegal.

From what we know, hesh uses plastic explosives, that are not very reactive to outside influence. But do we have sources? Nope.

before chally 1 rework, the ammunition (sabot and hese) did not detonate. only charge can.
now balance by Gaijin

which is infuriating because given how Gaijin reacted to my bug report that means ammo is still gonna be cooking off if it shouldn’t… grumble grumble grumble

that’s the point though… the HESH can detonate

even when you’ve got no HESH loaded as a player

only Russian ammo can’t detonate

I mean it sure does, but i have killed and died in russian tanks most of the time to fuel tank exp rather than ammo.

Actually comrade, according to STANAG 4439, only NATO ammo can’t detonate.

HESH can be made compliant with STANAG 4439. Source; NEXTER ammo catalogue.

UK MOD Insensitive Munitions policy is part of JSP 520, has some broad info.

Here you can find the Hazard Divisions (explosive risk).
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-I/subchapter-C/part-173/subpart-C

Oh man this is a policy rabbit hole…

7 Likes

Well, cant this be used to try and prove the point it does not explode?

I mean, we know it explodes. We’re trying to find under what conditions.

1 Like

Well, for sure it depends on what hits it. Dart vs 20kg of explosive. From what i read the hesh does not explode unless it is paired with charge and fiered. How does it work, i have no idea

Here’s a first hand account of what caused that explosion:

https://twitter.com/ArmouredSapper/status/1622407247354527748

7 Likes

From what I can see, RDX is already quite insensitive (in comparison to TNT). Here’s some boffin stuff.

1 Like