Challenger 2 MBT - Technical data and Discussion (Part 1)

Considering the dozer was mounted only in the stock configuration (sorry if I wasn’t clear enough) and replaced with ERA in the DL2E mod, I don’t think that would be the reason

Probably just gaijin not adding it for whatever reason, i can totally see them adding Streetfighter as a event or prem and going how one of its unique features is the Dozer Blade lol

1 Like

it is crazy, how could 420 CHA= 500-600KE?

Its that Stalinium back plate

I looked at this report and found some important information about the UA 9090.

First of all, the second-generation thermal mentioned in the Vickers brochure is a marketing.

Technically, this is the first generation thermal using the SPRITE detector.

The GEC Avionics TICM II, Barr and Stroud IR 18 Mk II and Philips Usfa UA 9090 thermal imagers use the SPRITE (Signal Processing In The Element) detector produced by Mullard, a Philips subsidiary, and a TRT-led consortium is proposing its use in the IR camera for the future HAC-3G helicopter for the French Army.

Spoiler

There is only one hope in here, if use SPRITE detector, the images can be of similar quality to the second generation thermal.

SPRITE detectors were the basis of U.K. GEN 1 Common Module FLIRS, although they might have qualified as second generation. The SPRITE-based U.K. common modules provided high sensitivity and high-quality imagery in a very compact package. Various versions were built and, by 1999, over 3,500 FLIRS were made based on the Class II configuration alone. They were used in the Falklands conflict and in the two Gulf Wars.

TICM-II was deployed on a wide range of military platforms including the Challenger-II main battle tank, the Rapier air defence system, airborne FLIR for Tornado GR-4, Harrier GR-5 & USMC AVB variants, ship defence missile systems and the Pheonix UAV, all of which have seen active service in various conflicts throughout the world in that timeframe. The basic TICM-II sensor was continuously developed throughout the 1980s and 90s to extend its capabilities through a TICM Stretch programme 2,3 and, together with updates of cooling technology, is still deployed by all of the UK armed forces today. As a consequence of the excellent results achieved by TICM-II and SPRITE technology, there was little drive within UK military circles to move towards newer thermal imaging systems. In fact, for many years the performance of the basic TICM-II package exceeded that of competing 2nd Generation thermal imaging sensors.

4 Likes

So it all depends how devs will look at it, right?
Also by Challenger II do they mean Challenger 1 mk.2 or Challenger 2?

I’ve talked about this before:

Well, if its the same as on the Cr2, then they should change it to Gen 2, just like in the Cr2s, but on the other hand the TIALD is Gen 1 (but i think it has to do with the fact we have TIALD 400, not 500 in game).

TIALD 400 uses SPRITE detector, TIALD 500 uses new detector

Oh, then it probably should be looked at and unified. EIther TIALD will go to 2nd gen or Challenger 2 will drop to 1st gen. If it provides a feed comparable to 2nd gen, then it should probably be the 2nd gen in game.

Depending on what devs do. If they buff Vickers to Gen 2 we can get TIALD buffed to Gen 2

iirc its a 1st gen by age of production, but as David has stated its a “Gen 1.5” in terms of its actual performance as its closer to a gen 2’s image quality than a 1’s

So we should take as a Gen 2, right?

Yeah it should.

Funnily enough the Harrier aircrew manual actually states that the old SPRITE detector can produce better quality images than the new 2nd gen sensor depending on the circumstances. So your articles saying SPRITE was very good seem to be correct.

10 Likes

So we have some baisis to get the TIALD to gen 2?

I’ve already report this before

2 Likes

Any feedback, or is it in the not looked at yet?

It’s still open

1 Like