Cannon barrel collision

Not so sure about that

Smallket trees, like thin birches and simlar trees will of course be knocked over to a certain extent, but thicker trees, of course depending on what tank and it mechanism, would either bend, or as you say, it would stop and eventual slur. bigger trees, like 30-100cm will of course not be knocked down hehe

Headons with both thanks, objects and terrain will damage the weapon yes hehe

Actually, a “gun,” (in the context of cannons, not small arms) according to MilitaryFactory.com, is “1. A cannon with relatively long barrel, operating with relatively low angle of fire, and having a high muzzle velocity. 2. A cannon with tube length 30 calibers or more.”

The length of 30 calibers for a gun barrel is not equivalent to 30mm, which would be the diameter of the projectile. So, you could have a gun chambered in 20mm, and as long as it has a total length of 30 calibers, it would still count as a gun. (Though the barrel would be some 50 feet long.) Compare that to the definitions for mortar and howitzer, both of which based their definitions mainly on their ballistics and their barrel length.

Anyhow, if you want to get technical, there it is. XD I think just saying “cannon” or “barrel” is pretty straightforward for just about anyone, though, especially if they already know the proper technical terminology.

2 Likes

I would love for this to be in RB.

1 Like

I feel people could get used to it fairly quickly. Still would be good to try out first for example in an April’s fool event.

2 Likes

Or in a devblog maybe🤔

this would be perfect at least it doesn’t break the game engine and it would be a convenient way to remove obstacles

2 Likes

I am not sure if everyone would like it, but I would love to see the barrel actually matter as a solid object. There is one vehicle modeled with it (the Lorraine 155mm), but it was an event vehicle and it’s a rarity among players.

1 Like

i think a barrel mounted on a cannon breach is a cannon barrel. and btw nobody likes people who are like actually its this like yeah its wrong but it works.

1 Like

Might be other words for it, but at least everybody know what a Cannon barrel is ;)

krauss maffei among others is naming it cannon/cannon barrel xd

3 Likes

I literally have shown above that it is not really that kind of mechanic. It’s just a halfmeasure and they actually rolled it back.

It’s an unstoppable train vs indestructible wall problem in many cases if you’d want to implement it properly, so you’d have to have a lot more stuff that is actually destructible for this kind of mechanic to not be overly annoying whenever you want to peep through a hole in the wall.

Detection of things like this, especially in network environment is a Pandora’s box devs won’t want to open. Stop wasting time on this topic, there are more important issues the game has to solve.

I think they should add barrel collision to things like trees, bushes, fences, etc. Basically light destructible objects for the sake of some realism and immersion, buildings and walls should not have barrel collision.

2 Likes

Bradley with a bent bushmaster cannon
RDT_20240621_1752114196477668245472138

3 Likes

damn look fun XD

1 Like

this should be added. more layers to force the braindead players to seethe because they have to think more. Seething can already be seen in this thread

1 Like

It should definitely be incorporated in RB and Sim, because even the R in RB stands for “Realistic”.

1 Like

This is something people have wanted for years, including myself. Put more strategy into going around corners.

1 Like

I think this would be really cool but also extremely difficult to implement. As is right now the reason tank collision mechanics work decently is because the tank is modeled as essentially a box. The turret doesn’t “rotate” moreso it just stays in place as a “catch” object. Having to implement a rotating barrel with a damage model that also affects the world would be nice, might need to have procedural generation for damaged barrels so that it doesn’t snap off on the same place every time.
On a sidenote, maybe this will also give them a way to make swing-wings damage model follow the visual model (it is a similar thing)

2 Likes

mmmm nice ground…

1 Like

Isn’t there a vehicle in game that already has barrel collisions? I forgot its name, but iirc it was a French vehicle which has since been hidden. I believe a few youtube videos exist on it.

That would be the lorraine 155. its barrel doesnt stick that far out though, so its collision isnt very impactful.

1 Like