Camera from tank gunner sight should be forced in GRB

Currently, WT has an option to choose between a barrel sight, and a sight from the gunner’s POV. It is currently forced in sim, while being optional in arcade. Gaijin should force it in RB, while leaving it optional for arcade.

It will make armour more important, and it will cut down on barrel sniping. Many tanks will have to be rebalanced, such as one that rely on barrel/weakspot shooting, and some heavily armoured tanks. No one likes playing a heavy tank, only to be repairing your barrel for half the match. It will also benefit higher tier tanks, such as the Abrams and other tanks with easily exploitable weakspots that aren’t weakspots IRL.

Pros: More realistic gameplay, less weakspot sniping, and less barrel sniping.

Cons: Harder to learn and use, it would greatly affect the balance of certain tanks, and it could be considered too realistic for RB.

35 Likes

Pair it with gun barrels being divided into multiple modules so shooting the tip of someone’s gun that is aimed at you doesn’t disable their ability to fire, and by all means, go for it.

Then, no more pixel-hunting and the tanks with gargantuan muzzle brakes/fume extractors no longer feel like the entire front of their vehicle may as well be that muzzle brake.

13 Likes

I’m not too sure about that, it wouldn’t make sense for a round hitting a barrel to do nothing. Especially for APFSDS rounds. Your idea wouldn’t be needed with a forced tank gunner sight.

5 Likes

Your sight actually being physically where it is definitely isn’t “too realistic for RB”. Heck, it’s not even “too realistic for AB”, which should also have it. (It’s actually less of a thing to get used to in AB too, due to the drop/pen indicator.)

The Battlefield series, which is of course a proper “arcade” game series which makes WT AB look like a full simulator, has had proper optics offset for vehicles and small arms for over a decade at this point… while WT’s “Realistic” mode still has CoD-style forehead shooting. It’s embarrassing.

It would be a direct upgrade in a gameplay sense too; sooo many problem metas and cheesy tactics exist primarily because of this pixel-perfect precision. Not just hitting weakpoints, but things like aiming through tiny gaps (bonus points for clipping your whole barrel into that cover while you’re at it), makes bush placement worse, and so on.

This is one of those issues where if the devs forced proper optics tomorrow, we’d see about a week of people freaking out here and on reddit… and then most would be used to it, see the benefits it brings, and life would go on. Just like basically every other “scary”, “can’t possibly add that!!!” mechanic change we’ve seen over the years.

14 Likes

AB would like to talk to you about this, look at how bad our heavy meta is rn.

Be interesting in RB, I’d like to try it.

4 Likes

I like the idea but wouldn’t the proposal be better here where it has a chance of being passed on to the devs?

2 Likes

If a gun has a muzzel brake, then the muzzel is a critical part of the function of the gun. Thus if it is destroyed the gun cannot fire, lest you risk blowing the gun through the back of the turret.

4 Likes

I am not following you, can you elaborate?

He is saying that it would make it harder to aim at weak spots and barrels because you would have parallax to deal with. Ironically, it would most likely end up nerfing heavy tanks as they would go up in br and fight more rounds that will have an easier time going through any part of them.

2 Likes

And yet the mere existence of the option to intentionally shoot the gun of someone who’s aiming at you renders the armor the target has basically meaningless, only delaying the inevitable.

Hence why barrel damage needs to die, for the sake of gameplay. It isn’t fun having a completely unhide-able weakspot that shouldn’t even really be one to begin with, especially when your heavy tank or heavily-armored TD already has a host of other downsides compared to a “no armor best armor” light or even run-of-the-mill mediums.

My opinion is the same regardless of whether we’re talking a machine cursed with a gigantic muzzle brake (T26E4, T32s, T28/95) or not (Maus).

If I’m aiming my gun at someone, a hit to the barrel tip should degrade my longer-range shooting accuracy and increase my reload time if my gun has a muzzle brake.

Now if I’m being dumb and my barrel is sticking around a corner, and someone shoots through it from the side, THAT should disable firing the gun.

4 Likes

I agree re Gun barrels and even the turret ring on the M1.

Better to leave the sight and introduce wind physics ,that is most important in relation to external ballistics.You are looking then to firing at what in handgun terms might be refereed to central mass.Like a meter of play over 1000m as a ball park.

Trouble is this game doesn’t really do divisions.It wont separate Arcade ,GRB or Sim as it should.You could have so many levels of play but it’s just a mess really.
Too little attention to detail.I also think many would respond badly to the change.Its been the same for so long.

I could do sim if was even near a sim. GRB is about right given that so many play on console and old PCs.Game is not up to barrel physics and correct gun sites in GRB.

1 Like

Where are you getting games where your barrel is being consistently taken out? I swear barrels just do not take damage outside of a narrow range of ± 2.5 degrees from perpendicular (that’s only a slight exaggeration).

I find it an issue at lower BRs, usually with tanks that have larger muzzle brakes, like the tiger II or T26E5. I’ve also had it happen playing the Kv-1s.

Barrel damage is very inconsistent for some reason, and the current implementation isn’t enjoyable for either side.

4 Likes

It’s more of an issue that barrels are not breaking enough from the front/non-perpendicular angles. I mean any shot from a cannon with a caliber larger than ~40-50mm or so (that doesn’t ricochet) should be breaking the barrel. IMO, the main issue is that barrels don’t break often enough.

If that is actually true, that is a good thing. If someone sticks their gun around a corner, putting a round through the tube would sensibly prevent it from being fired safely.

But when you’re pointing your gun at someone, and they barrel you the moment you aim towards them, that just adds insult to injury when you are already at serious disadvantage the moment you bother using a heavy tank above 5.3 BR. I could tolerate the growing proliferation of foes that can carelessly slice through my armor if when I ran into something that couldn’t slice through, that I could use my armor like an aggressive battering ram to literally shove him out of his camping spot, then blow him to bits.

Right now, “armor” is entirely passive, and only if the opponent makes a mistake shooting poorly. If the opponent does anything else, your “armor” is really “dead weight.”

Armor has been the “worst” thing for a tank to excel at for years because our pixel-perfect aiming means that any sort of Achilles heel in your armor layout is trivially easy to exploit. Even if your armor is perfect, your barrel is always vulnerable. Destroy the barrel and the opponent will basically automatically lose unless a third party intervenes.

IMO forcing players to account for parallax would dramatically improve the quality of ground battles and make such a cheesy shot actually require an ounce of skill. Alternatively removing the requirement to be stationary while repairing, or at least making barrels an exception, would also go a long way towards fixing the barrel snipe problem.

8 Likes

I think i could get behind this

How bout NO

If i want realism of that order i’ll join army and go crew real tank.

1 Like

This would literally mess up and reset everyone’s aiming skills and make so many people angry lol.
(except for maybe Sim players who have to use it by default). I mean it is a “Realistic” thing so being in Ground “Realistic” battles which does seem reasonable.

But the question is… Does it honestly have to be that “Realistic?”

Realism =/= Fun

5 Likes