British Weapon Systems - Technical data and discussion

It really depends how accurate Gaijin wants to be with this. Currently Gripen has Aim9M, but afaik Swedish army never bought them (could be wrong) but of course, Gripen was compatible with it.

For the same reasoning that the Gripen got 9M It could get pretty much anything it was compatible for? So both Gripens could essentially get any modern IR and NATO fox 3?

I doubt that would happen though, I’d think Gaijin would like to keep them unique to each other

Yep, the Gripen is a good jack of all trades. (I really hope it gets ground radar)

Its definetly future proof thats for sure (in war thunder). I just hope they dont hide behind it for Britain. Thats my biggest fear. Is that the resposne to:

"Can we get the Sea Harrier FA2, or Tornado F3 AoP, or Tornado Gr4 or Harrier Gr9A? "

will be:

“No you have the Gripen C, what more do you want?”

(not too mention the Typhoon DA2)

From my understanding, the C the Africans ended up was not compatible with AMRAAM for some reason or other. Didn’t dig into it very far, but seemed they didn’t bother in favour of home grown armament, that went nowhere. I could be completely wrong though, I did go looking for negative information, as I was quite a bit grumpy.

Regarding 9M, to my understanding it is Gaijin being too lazy to go 9li

My guess is British one will get amraam and Python 4/5, and Swedes will get amraam, meteor and Iris-T

They just never purchased AMRAAM. I think they are planning on getting A-Darter at some point, but they are having production issues or something.

As SAAF operate IRIS-T only at the moment, if they did upgrade its loadout (which I doubt) it would get those.

Aim-9M I think were/are run on Hungarian Gripen Cs, but not got a source for that.

From my reading thought they ended up with an early C that didn’t have all the compatibilities sorted. But as said, was grumpy, could be wrong.

I have no idea to be honest. I’ve heard it was finacial issue or something but that is also entirely possible.

I would think that British one would essentially become IR only vehicle like Netz (not counting shitty DF missiles) and just get Python 4/5, however because I think Fox 3 is closer than Eurofighter is, they might just give the British Gripen C amraam since they won’t be able to introduce fox 3 with the Eurofighter.

Or, hear me out.

Sea harrier with all the amraams.

Yeah, we do have 3 AMRAAM carriers we could get as well.

Interesting, I remember on the Gripens promotion posters that were made specifically for the South African variant, they advertised it with Python’s

Yeah, but I’d really like to upset the Americans by swatting them at 10kms with a harrier.

1 Like

At least I think they use IRIS-T

Though could be wrong. Though I think they used Python or the Darter (which I think is a Python variant) on the Cheatah D so maybe there was an overlap. To be honest the sources I’ve seen are tenatively secondary and I dont really know where I would even look for Primary sources for a Swedish aircraft in service with South Africa.

They all fear AESA. They should all fear the Blue Vixen

1 Like

Also, you know the number of hardpoints that harrier variant could fill with amraams? Can’t find it quickly and I’m drawing a blank on it.

And regarding the pythons on the C for SA, pretty sure it was just because they had them in inventory, but could be wrong.

4 is the max, but you would ONLY be running 4 AMRAAM

Sea harrier looks like it’d be a good test bed for a whole lot of features, ARMs and AMRAAMs.

Though somehow I doubt the ASM will arrive. Which sucks.

and yeah, probably

(NOT A PRIMARY SOURCE)

Lists a few different AAMs

Gripen C lists IRIS-T

Yeah, I would love ASMs for SB. Kinda annoying and yeah, I kinda hope they would add AMRAAM to a few like the FA2 1 update before everyone else, just to get them working right first. But I doubt htey will do that. Though I do see FA2 in the AMRAAM update