British Weapon Systems - Technical data and discussion

yeah linked the article above

Yeah a few years after I’d left. But you’d often see Leopards and Challys driving to range when I was ont bus to school.

1 Like

Yeah lol, the article warhead linked was a satirical piece about it.

Hate to be a PITA, but did the starstreak changes make it to live? When I look on the github datamine I can’t see anything relevant changed in the last few weeks.

now AMX have 6xGBUand 2x9L at 10.3
should we make a suggestion for Jaguar GR1A ?

2 Likes

If you wish to do so, then do.

I bet that drivers seat needed cleaning after that lmao

It’ll buff out.

I hear that’s a flat 6 engine now XD

This was an interesting coincidence, I just happened to be looking it up at the same time it was added.
Ideally I guess we’d get AS-90 with the shell. I’m not sure why 50% more TNTe is only 2mm more penetration but that seems to just the way it scales in game.

Seems L15 gets more explosive yield by having thinner walls than L21/M107. So more internal volume for more filler. Additional effect of increased number of fragments, albeit with smaller mass per fragment.
https://www.baesystems.com/en-uk/product/155mm-artillery-ammunition
Kinetic penetration is perhaps not as high as it would be if it was the same higher explosive yield but maintaining the thicker, heavier shell body for impact damage and the resulting heavy fragments.

1 Like

More over pressure, less frag.

Why is it that Black Night has a spall liner in its turret, but Cr3 does not? They’re both tech demonstrators, infact you could even make the case BN is a CR3 prototype. Yet only one gets the liner. What’s up with that?

1 Like

The BN has a normal Cr2 turret with slight mods to it inside. Cr3 TD has a heavly modified Cr2 turret, that had its interior torn apart due to digitalization and all the work around it.
We could argue that like Yak 41 it should get it if it was ever to go into a fight, but i do not have a strenght to do that, and i imagine it will be a lost fight.

4 Likes

Pretty sure if was a Leo2 turret they took apart and modified into a Chally turret. Saved them having to fit a smoothbore into an existing Chally 2 turret without modification to it.

2 Likes

Why didn’t they just use a leo turret
oh wait money

They did? Im sure it is a Cr2 turret. The L55a1 could fit into Cr2 turret no problem (thanks LIP for testing that), and the inside, you can find some photos around Cr2/3 topics, is a Cr2 turret inside, but with slight (maybe not so slight) layout changes.

1 Like

Challenger 3 MBT - Technical Data and Discussion - #97 by Hartsy1 this is what I found

Interesting. How did i missed that? I did hours of research on Cr3 and i did not found it.

The article was from 2018 just before the it was revealed in 2019 at the show. So no surprise tbh XD

Equally though it’d be weird fitting the CR2 commander’s cupola to a Leopard turret instead of just using the Leopard’s cupola. You can tell at the core of the demo vehicle’s turret it’s a CR2 turret because of that (it even still has the cutout for the old commander’s panoramic sight) and things like the location of the loader’s periscope and lifting eyes.

from Twitter

Fitting a Rheinmetall smoothbore was already proven with the CLIP - it was a Rheinmetall L/55 fitted in to the L30’s gun cradle and modified to accept the L30’s fume extractor, muzzle reference device and thermal sleeve. This time replacing the FCS and gun laying system means they could do away with a bunch of that and keep more in common with the standard L/55A1.
CR3’s gun is still a specially modified version called L55A1CR3 though - by the looks the main difference is the rotor block with modifications for things like fitting the L94 chain gun, location of the GAS etc.

Ed:- Added an image showing where all the lifting eyes are on CR2’s turret for comparison with their location on the CR3 TD

3 Likes