Britain Air Forces

Because Tornado I think. Probably would have been done if the Tornado was never made (dont forgot there is nothing cheaper than the UK government, Especially in the 1970s)

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll do some more digging although I suspect it would be a pain in the ass to balance. The standard Gnat regularly beat Pakistani CL-13’s so a Gnat with a thinner but larger wing and afterburning engine would probably be stupidly hard to balance in-game.

I would’ve thought upgrading engines and cheaply adding newer wings to existing fuselage’s would’ve been cheaper but i’m sure the logic at the time disagreed.

T-2/F1 uses license built versions of the jag engine and the JH-7 uses license built speys xD

If they were going solo, Maybe, but as part of Panavia, it was probably cheaper. Upgrading/retrofitting is a lot more expensive than you think Especially as the Jaguars were already a major bodge job (I think they were originally a trainer and were never intended for combat) The comms pannel for example was located upside down behind the pilots shoulder

2 Likes

I knew that part but the T-2… Now that’s interesting surely uprated though as its T/W and max speed feel much better.

Nope they are near enough indentical the thrust differences between them are tiny and iirc by the the time the jag 3 came around the Brit jag had more thrust

The Spey has significantly more diameter than the Adour which would require significant redesign. In addition a major facet of the Jaguar was joint production and commonality between France and Britain. The Jaguar was completely adequate for its role in real life, just falls short in WT. India had investigated using Honeywell F125 engines in their Jaguars as they actually fit and would be a decent power increase but ran into, you guessed it, cost issues.

3 Likes

Where do you guys find this kind of shit?

Just need their CBUs for WT

BAE Projects… Some were obviously never going to happen/work but this one they even went as far as suggesting to create the larger wing from (this may be the wrong word) Super-Plastic-Titanium-Carbon-Bonding (I think…).

I do believe the Gripen is definitely the most probable aircraft to arrive next update. However as a Swedish main I would not mind an F18. Would be nice to secure that one for the Swedish tech tree, we’ll be getting the Gripen soon anyways

I think Sweden will get a Finnish F-18 the question is just when. Its a full subtree so nothing Finnish in-game should be omitted although its likely you will see it later than the country of origin.

I wouldn’t mind more Jags in the game. The Gr.3A is something I really want for the UK but also the export models would be neat. The version I saw with SRAAM’s on the top pylons would be neat. IAF Jags would also be great.

Not too mention it would be one of very very few British aircraft with HMD. That just sounds interesting to use

Apparently UK Jags actually were gonna get ASRAAM but budget cuts killed that. IAF Jaguars were equipped with ASRAAMs and actually have engines comparable to the Jaguar GR.3, but they’ve been worn down from being used for decades.

iaf-sepecat-jaguar-armed-with-asraam-missiles-v0-n2jh18waqlja1

2 Likes

I believe they did receive ASRAAM in British service on at least 1 airframe, @Legwolf had a post on it with a picture. (Nvm it would seem that it’s not ASRAAM but they were wired for it).

There is lots of modernisations for Indian jags though isn’t there? Last one I heard was the Jaguar Max or something

1 Like

Would love Indian Jag,.1 more GBU, a radar and anti ship missiles.

I’m pretty sure that fell through. Jaguar MAX was an extremely thorough modernization, while Jaguars will begin being retired from the IAF in 2027. Putting a huge modernization package on an aircraft that you plan to replace with the Tejas Mk.II within the next decade isn’t a great idea. Granted, Britain did upgrade their Jaguars and then almost immediately can them… regardless, I don’t think Jaguar MAX ever left the drawing board.

1 Like