Britain Air Forces

Yes, but it isn’t in service yet.

I mean realistically, what are we more likely to see, a gimped Gripen or an accurate (early service anyway) F-18? Even if Sweden gets a JAS39A with fudged loadouts, the South African Gripen would be even more fudged. And unlike the Tornado, Britain itself isn’t using the Gripen, so rolling the South African Gripen and Swedish Gripen out at the exact same time would be weird. Compare to Germany whose DDR branch has generally gotten Russian top tiers about a patch or two after them being added to Russia, despite functionally being the same aircraft. If we get AMRAAMs there’s a lot of possibilities, but if we don’t I can almost guarantee you that we’ll be getting an F-18 of some sort.

4 Likes

Still irst is still too far ahead

That’s why it will probably get 9Ms, as gaijin gave them to BARAK 2.

it is also dependent upon Gaijins Definition of “Top tier”.

Saw someone argue that the Tornado F3 was “Top tier” because at 11.3 it can see 12.3s and therefore should be considered top tier.

I disagree with this idea, but we dont know what Gaijins stance will be.

1 Like

Still the f/a18 is just simpler as you don’t need to give it some non historical load out

To be honest I see this as an absolute win. Obviously nothing confirmed but I still see it as a win.

1 Like

I see it by rank not br so i think it is but a bad one

You’re right. And we are not even thinking out of the box, those are the two more probable options, but Gaijin can surprise us.

1 Like

Or you know they just give us a Indian mig29k and call it a day

Honestly I’m still trying to figure out if any Tornado in-game really fits the definition of 4th generation, from what I can see they’re more like 3+.

The Mig-29 is okay but if we were going down the Indian route, I’d rather wait and get the SU-30MKI with R27ER’s, neither are favourable options although MKI is utterly unrealistic as Eurofighter would be more than fair in comparison.

The best options are from nations that use the F-18.

I just think swapping in the TT from Aim-9 and Aim-7/Skyflash to R-73s and R-27ER and then back again just feels really really jarring. Maybe as a premium or SQV (Sea Harrier Mk51 should have been our SQV not the FRS1) but for TT, I think it should follow on organically

I agree but i always see the possibility of them just giving us a mig29k if the russians are gonna get it next

I wish I had your optimism lol.

Frankly I’ll take what I can get at this point. F-18 has the multi-nation appeal similar to the F-16, and also similar to the F-16, it’s an older airframe. While we have some very new airframes in game, it’s probably more reasonable to see an F-18 than a Gripen. I don’t expect any MiGs or Sukhois in the main tree from Commonwealth members, I’d imagine it would be more of a squadron or event vehicle type deal.

3 Likes

Well we know we’re getting a fighter, and there are supposedly no native options. If we assume that we are not getting AMRAAM this patch then the F-18 is the logical choice for a top tier addition.

I feel the exact same to be honest, my only prayer is it’s not a Tornado. Harrier I can make work just about, Tornado is not even usable.

I’d prefer a hawk with 9ms than another harrier/tornado tbh

IIRC Smin was very careful and said ‘aircraft’ not fighter, which means Tornado is a possibility as a domestic option, as is the Harrier as a fleet air defence aircraft.

But hopefully we do indeed get a fighter.