Britain Air Forces

Sub-trees are a thing. Canada with an ANZAC sub-tree could work. but enough of that this is for new UK plane.

looking at this the UK can get the CL-13 Mk 2 and Mk. 4 for sure for Canadair Sabres as they got them historically.

Late Aim 9X level, better even mostly, hell the early 9X would be broken in game but not too dissimilar to the R73 with better IRCCM akin to the 9M

Holy fuck

I NEED THAT RIGHT NOW

Being better than AIM-9X isn’t really a acheivement. Even US itself knows it’s behind other modern short range missiles.

It’s good still but then again they thought the same about the 9M whilst the Soviet bloc was using R-73.

It has the same shortcomings as ASRAAM nowadays with no DIRCM.

Honestly I am really, really curious why they don’t slap the thrust vectoring nozzle from CAMM or the 1980’s ASRAAM P3I, onto the ASRAAM, that would give it utility in close range engagements in addition to reducing the range by 5km at most due to extra weight, on a 50km missile that’s really not too bad.

Maybe they will use CAMM-ER with both thrust vectoring and a 70-90km range as the basis for the next ASRAAM block.

Thrust vectoring is more costly on range than only 10%
The extra weigth of the nozzle is one fact.
The main negative factor of a TVC noozle is that the thrust itself is reduced because you litteraly cut it. A 15% decrease in overall thrust can be speculated for TVC nozzle.

So installing TVC nozzle to the ASRAAM would probably make it a 35/40km max range missile which would be similar to AIM-9X Block 2 or Python 5.
Then the ASRAAM would not have it’s distinctive long range advantage compared to other FOX2 missile (except MICA IR).

Well few things here:

• The CAMM-ER is 160kg compared to the 88kg on the ASRAAM (Double the weigth, heavier than a AIM-120D)
  • The CAMM-ER uses another kind of motor than the ASRAAM:
Spoiler

• The CAMM-ER is significatly larger (190mm vs 166mm) body and longuer (4.2m vs 2.9m). For reference the AIM-120D is 3.65m long and has a 178mm large body.

• The CAMM-ER is radar guided and has a conical nose that is more aerodynamic than the oval nose of IR missile = more range.

Just to point out that it wouldn’t be a “new block” of the ASRAAM but a TOTALLY new missile.

And if you developped an air launch missile based on the CAMM-MR with it’s dimmension you would probably look more to the 120km max range than 70-90km max range.

Addapting the CAMM-ER to an Infrared guided A-A missile would be hard.
As infrared sensor are mostly covered by glass, they don’t like going too fast because then the heat created at the front of the missile will risk damaging the sensor and making it less capable.
That’s why a METEOR IR wasn’t created, no infrared sensor like to go MACH 4 for 2 minutes straigth.
In case of a CAMM-ER IR , the issue is that the missile goes very fast very quickly (not a Dual-pulse motor) to achieve great rang. So the IR sensor would be at risk.
In case of the MICA IR NG, thanks to dual pulse you can achieve great range while having a slower maximum speed so less damage on the IR seeker.

Or you can do as the IRIS-T SLM and add a cover to the seeker but then the missile is not LOBL capable anymore which is a BIG issue especialy for A-A fox 2 missile that are also used for dogfight.

Huh thanks very much for the rundown, that’s really enlightening.

Going back to the AIM-120 I’ve figured out what new SPAA is coming to the US

If you want to talk about it there’s 2 separate thread for this system:

Interesting system but a bit outside the topic.

Can’t you see the wings

What wings?

Speaking of American anti-air is there any threads about the ADATS?
The gun depression doesn’t seem to be enough. Only -5° seems too low.

Gaijin not add new fighter aircraft toptier at 1st line for 3 years after F-4M Phantom FGR.2 from update Update 1.93 “Shark Attack” october 2019

Currently great britain tech tree missing multirole fighter like 5 countries

So I expect gaijin consider multirole fighter toptier at 12.7 BR from RAF or IAF or RCAF close to F-16C Block 50 (USAF), MiG-29SMT (9-19R) (Russian Air Force), F-16D Block 40 Barak (IAF/IDF), Mirage 2000-5F (French) and F-16A Block 20 MLU (ROCAF) at rank VIII in next month

or a harrier with aim120

Sea Harrier FA.2 it’s strike fighter and located under F-4K Phantom FG.1 97%

Yep, that’s where it would go and the FA2 is where my money is at at the moment. But It could be about a dozen aircraft, until we get leaks and datamines we just have no idea what it might be. Not even a guarantee its going to be a fighter. Only that it’s “top tier” which has no clearly defined definition

2 Likes

4 years gajin not add new fighter aircraft toptier for great britain tech tree after major update “Shark Attack” since october 2019

I expect dev could add supersonic Multirole fighter 12.7 BR close to F-16C Block 50, MiG-29SMT (9-19R), Mirage 2000-5F, F-16I Sufa & F-16A Block 20 MLU and good maneuvrability

I mean FGRs got a s***load of updates since then. It’s not like they used the same aircraft for 4 years

1 Like

I still would like it to have the 540lb WT community bombs
And some other stuff it can get.

AGM-12’s and the wing Skyflash pylons.