Britain Air Forces

Structural limits. If the pilot can unlock the FWB to fly at 12G that will be the real structural limit.

5 Likes

I for now have no source on it but i’m 95% certain that, at least structurally, it can take 12G indefinitely.
But i’m searching for more reliable info on that part.

in the interview he says
“for safety reasons we have the hard stop functionality, if you are in high speed that will generate 3G extra, so that will generate 12G”

-interviewer: how do you override it, is it a switch?

“no, its by force, so if you are pulling it backwards you will have the soft stop but if you REALLY REALLY pull it it will go for the hard stop region and that will give you 3G extra.”

The airframe won’t deal with 12g indefinitely. But if the engineers have put in a hardstop of 12g, that means that is the maximum g they are happy with the pilot being able to pull for structural limits. It will obviously have a massive impact on the lifespan of the airframe, but that isn’t a consideration in WT.

Problem is they will probably say that video is not a source.

I’m willing to test the waters on this one. The intention of the structural limit is to model a limit where we hit a failure point. Mechanically the devs have decided to add a 1.5x multiplier to that for gameplay reasons. If the airframe is capable of 12G then that’s the structural limit. So applying the multiplier at 9G doesn’t seem correct.

I should add the 1.5X rule isn’t just made up, it’s backed up by US safety standards and their safety margins.

6 Likes

Movers channel is one of my favourites, kinda ironic as I was watching that video yesterday.

I wonder if it’s worth pinging Saab for some information who wants to be the email donkey

those “safety reasons” might just be structural limits.

1 Like

That and pilot over-g would be my guess.

9G is already a huge strain on the pilot. So 12G could also be for the pilots safety. I doubt the Structural limit is actually 12G, but probably more like 15G+ or something before damage actually occurs. There is just a margin of errror/safety as well.

2 Likes

a testament from an employee at SAAB that works with test flying JAS39 just feels like it would count as an “expert opinion” even if it might not be in text as an authored work.

this sounds correct. We might need more sources to prove it though.
in any case the G-limiter accounts for fuel/armament/speed and elevation and would limit the plane before it breaks in almost all situations. even if that happens to be at 6G

If the aircraft is designed to let the pilot pull 12g, then they would very likely have a factor of safety on top of that.

Yeah like the Eurofighter its literally impossible to rip the wings or induce permanent airframe damage as far as I can tell. And that accounts for stores, fuel, etcetera.

1 Like

The modernn composite wings are ridiculously strong and their structural limit is going to be nowhere near the limit of the pilot… composite delta wings were often rated 2-3 times the limit of the pilot, the idea being that the pilot would eventually be replaced by a drone who did not need to worry about over-g

Composite materials have a risk of delamination after high stress events and lots of cycles that undue flex/strain. As such they typically have a shorter lifespan than say a wing reinforced with steel.

The wings are typically inspected on the ground after any high g manuver.

3 Likes

How is the radar and RWR on the Gripen now

very good

Does the SAAF grippen have any additional skins?

no

the cockpit is still in swedish, the statcard shows the swedish gripen… why wasn’t it in the dev server? lol

3 Likes