Britain Air Forces

Thats the Gripen NG or E

I know it has 2 more hardpoints, but I dont know what they can carry.

I wouldn’t mind the Saudi F-15 as an alternative. They could’ve added that instead of the ZA Gripen C. Then the Swedes would have a unique top tier aircraft

1 Like

Ah ok. 👍

Afaik those hardpoints are for the Targeting pod and the other is for a fuel tank on the belly. In-game the Gripen A already have them, so I’m kinda confused. Looks like a mix between A and C.

Not only is Saudi Arabia premium only so far, they also only operated Cs, Ds, and SAs, which are advanced Es

This is a lot of what ive seen people say in response to Smins post. The A and C are not similar. So either one or both are very badly modeled. We will have to wait to see if Gripen C comes to dev server next cycle

1 Like

I always thought the difference between them was only that the C is NATO standard, unlike the A, with slight changes on the engine for fuel efficiency and maintance. But I know very little about it.

2 Likes

I have a question, so if the A and C are on par with the F-16 then why aren’t we getting the E/F?

Too advanced with AESA and stuff
Plus the SAAF only has Cs and Ds

I’ve seen things mentioned such as:

• Different Engine
  • Different RWR
  • Different Radar
  • More hardpoints

but im not sure how much of that is true

1 Like

It doesn’t have aesa yet.
We might see it coming together with SU-30, Rafale, late F-15Cs, etc. My bet is next December.

It can carries only 6 missiles just like A variant.

I mean, will it be only 6x IR only or if it will be 2-6x IR and/or 2-4x SARH as an option (but should have an additional 2 hardpoints for something else, in addition to the 6 AAMs. Unlike the A that only has the 6 hardpoints)

jas_39_gripen_saab_multirole_fighter_aircraft_sweden_swedish_details_armament_001

Yeah exactly. 1 of these hardpoints is purely for targeting/recce/etc pods and nothing else. This loadout is the same for the C btw:

Spoiler

JAS39A

JAS39E for comparison:

My answer in another topic:

1 Like

These are the hardpoints:

Spoiler

JAS39A didn’t have them initially since one was for TGP and other one for drop tank/droppable munitions which A variant didn’t support. Tho, overtime the A variant also got these C upgrades. We’re getting some late JAS39A batch for the same reason why we got JA37C instead of JA37A - they weren’t advanced enough to fit their intended role in game.

1 Like

But they did have different radars Iirc and the C was upgraded with a radar that should be incapable of SARH. So we’ll have to wait and see what the AAM loadout is like for the C. It could be IR only.

It all depends on production date/batch. Yk just because some US F-16Cs fly with AESA doesn’t mean that all US F-16Cs had it stock and same goes for Gripen variants.

And yeah I expect nothing more than six AIM-9Ms on SAAF Gripen.

Yep, though would figure there must have been some changes between the A and C to warrant a name change.

It was basically all the cumulative improvements plus SAAB contracted BAe for marketting, essentially the new Eurofighter BAe had developed wasn’t for export and it was already the SAAB-BAe systems Gripen so BAe decided they’d market Gripen as their low-cost product.

Gripen C did add Helmet mounted sight too based on the Strikemaster of the Eurofighter, engine was slightly modified for ease of maintenance, retractable refuelling probe added and two hardpoints. But other than that it was the same as a 2003 Gripen A.