Britain Air Forces

Welp we got the Gripen. Speculation is over. ARH is definitely coming in March. Let us move on from now and speculate what is coming then. Will we get something or are we going to have the Gripen for the foreseeable future?

I’d honestly expect the gripen is it for truly New airframes to the UK tree untill EF Typhoon in a couple years, Im presuming we will end up getting things like Tornado “Late” with AMRAAM and 9M and the GR4
Alongside the Later Ground attack harriers and the FA.2 Sea harrier

3 Likes

I think we will get the Typhoon F.2 on the interceptor line, before FGR.4 enters the game. Would be an early version with no guided ground attack capability.

4 Likes

At least at top tier yeah. Unless they decide to give us a Canadian or Australian F-18. (or another CW airframe, though only the F-18 wouldnt be a disaster)

Below top tier, we have quite a few options, such as the BAE Hawk

3 Likes

So let me get this straight with the Hawk. The 100 can use AIM-9L’S and unguided ordinance. The Hawk 200 can use Lima’s, Skyflash ST’s, AMRAAM, ASRAAM. Along with ALARM, Sea Eagle, Paveways, and mavericks

I think so? The hawks are actually an airframe I dont know much about actually.

I’d guess we’d get something like a 200 at 11.0 with 9Ls and Skyflash and some guided A2G weapons maybe? At least I wouldnt want it much higher than that without ASRAAM

1 Like

Recent discussion in other treads makes it look like a British F-18 is still on the table.

Meaning I can stay around and continue pushing/hoping for the CF-18 in the UK tree.

But as I said before it depends on if they feel like Gripen is all the UK needs or if the F-18 could help fill other gaps/needs.

1 Like

Yeah, thats always been my fear a “why do you want [insert aircraft here] you have the Gripen, just use that. You dont need anything new” for the next year+

5 Likes

100 can also use mavericks, the problem is that neither of them can carry targeting pods, so they require buddy lasing for paveways or other ordnance like that.

1 Like

I thought that about EAP, that’s why I rushed my post out in literally 4 hours after I saw the chinese leak list.

I thought that the 200 had a changeable nose which could have either a radar or a TGP?

Both are LRMTS, but one has FLIR for night attack, and the other doesn’t, it cant designate a laser for ordnance.

British built AMRAAM platform options are the Hawk 200, Tornado F.3 FSP/CSP and Sea Harrier FA.2
Commonwealth options are the RAAF F/A-18A and RCAF CF-18
India could in theory provide R-77 and MICA platforms, but those would definitely be the worst outcome

I dont think they are gonna do it, but in terms of pure capabilities the SAAF Gripen would also be an option, albeit a fictional one

We already have it, that is whatr we are getting this update, though with the same loadout as what Sweden has on the Gripen A

iirc exact quote was “Similar” which means it will vary between Gripen A and SAAF C

1 Like

Yooooo… that was the most advanced (Strike) Eagle variant out there before the EX released. Truly a multi role machine… looooooooong shot :D

2 Likes

I know the SAAF Gripen is coming. That part of the reply was purely about the theoretical possibility of it being our AMRAAM platform in the future

Ah right, yeah possibly.

Well, the C has 2 additional hardpoints. So will have additional A2G capacity. But at its core they will both have the 6x Aim-9 "M"s. The question will be if the C will have the Skyflash option, which is would be ahistorical as it couldnt guide SARH.

But at its core, they’ll probably run the same A2A loadout, 6x Aim-9 and 4x BOL

Can’t the C also carry 2 additional missiles on the fuselage or am I thinking of a different variant of the Gripen?