Breda CC.20, the slow Italian giant

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • Maybe?
  • No
0 voters

Breda-CC.20-1

The Breda CC.20 was an attempt to create a long-range heavy bomber by the Società Italiana Ernesto Breda to equip bombing units.
The only example was used by the 62nd Squadron “Apparecchi sperimentali G.A.”, but after further testing by the 1st Experimental Center it was scrapped due to “old age” and modest flying characteristics in 1934.

Historical background

In early 1927, the Ministry of Aeronautics issued a specification for the supply of a new model of a multi-engine bomber which asked for an aircraft of metal construction capable of carrying a war load of 2 000 kg, with a range of 3 000 km and ability to reach an altitude of 5 000 m in a maximum time of 60 min.

During the same period, Breda Aeronautica developed, on its own initiative, a new military aircraft, the CC.20, the first monoplane bomber made by the Italian company, made entirely of metal.

The project, carried out in collaboration between engineers and colonels Gaetano Arturo Crocco and Giulio Costanzi, concerned a three-engine aircraft with a classic layout and generous dimensions, medium-low wing, with a fuselage integrating the enclosed stepped cockpit, classic single-rotor wingtip and fixed landing gear. After preliminary studies, the design was presented to the military authorities, obtaining a contract worth 2,700,000 Lire signed, for the same amount also with competitors Caproni and Fiat Aviazione, between February and March 1928, a contract later settled in October 1932 with the value reduced to £. 2 362 500.

The prototype was flown for the first time on October 27, 1929, however, showing limited top speed and range. Due to the lower than expected characteristics the program was discontinued and never developed again.

Technical characteristics

Spoiler

The Breda CC.20 was a large metal three-engine model characterized by its monoplane design.
The fuselage integrated the “step” type cockpit with two side-by-side seats.
The sail was of the monoplane type, with a wing positioned low and cantilevered, the structure of which consisted of a single square-section spar covered with a metal working covering.

Specifications:

• Crew 7
  • Wing span 42 m
  • Empty weight 7,700 kg
  • Gross weight 12,000 kg
  • Powerplant 3 liquid-cooled Isotta Fraschini Asso 500 V-12 engines, 373 kW (500 hp) each
  • Performance
  • Maximum speed 185 kilometers per hour
  • Cruising speed 155 kilometers per hour
  • Armament:
  • 1x25mm cannon and 7x7.7mm machine guns
    In the prototype, however, only 2 turrets with 1 Breda-SAFAT 7.7mm machine gun were installed
  • 4300 kg payload (probably not just bombs)

Images

Spoiler

CC.20 Ala
CC.20 Muso
CC.20
Tre viste CC.20

Mussolini e Balbo CC.20

Italo Balbo and Mussolini inspect the only exemplar (note the 2-bladed wooden propeller, later replaced with 3-bladed metal propeller)

Sources

Spoiler

Breda CC.20 - Wikipedia
Breda CC.20 - Wikipedia
Sesto San Giovanni - Presentazione dell'aereo bombardiere Breda CC.20 a Benito Mussolini e Italo Balbo, Non identificato – Fotografie – Lombardia Beni Culturali
Fascismo aerodinámico, pero sub-motorizado – Historias y máquinas
https://www.colettiscombataircraft.com/item/breda-cc-20/
Breda CC.20 e Ba.19 - Foto 1

6 Likes

Approved +1.

1 Like

+1 Gj

2 Likes

Pardon me if I missed it, but where would the 25mm go? +1

1 Like

+1 huge

1 Like

probably in a turret, they had only hypothesized about installing it. only 2 light MG

1 Like

I see

1 Like

Looks like somebody was inspired by y recent comments. How can I dislike the italian Tb.3 (or is it he Ca.90?)

1 Like

I already had this in pending when you commented! But this one is definitely for you!

1 Like

br 1.3 +1

2 Likes

goofy ahh

Snail gib need funny big plane

2 Likes