Breda Ba.65 I.F. K.14.

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • No
0 voters

Breda Ba.65 I.F. K.14.

History.

The Breda Ba.65 “Nibbio” was a low-wing single-engine assault monoplane produced by the Italian company Società Italiana Ernesto Breda during the second half of the 1930s. The aircraft was designed to replace the previous Breda Ba.64. The new aircraft, called Ba.65, maintained the same general characteristics of its predecessor, even if it differed in its armament and engine, as well as in other minor details. The prototype was powered by an Isotta Fraschini K.14 engine, a licensed version of a French engine, and first flew in September 1935. The aircraft made a good impression on the inspectors, and a batch of 81 was ordered specimens. Later, as a lot time passed and needs changed, these planes were put back into operation immediately after the outbreak of the Second World War, even though they were in the process of being decommissioned. Despite their old age, these planes fought in an excellent manner, giving a lot of trouble to the British and to General Archibald Wavell’s mobile troops. Unfortunately, over time these machines showed all their limitations and were destroyed or scrapped, and now they no longer exist.

Armaments and propulsion.

The aircraft was armed with a powerful offensive armament, consisting of 2 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns and 2 7.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns. The drop armament remained the same as a classic Ba.65, and beyond that there were no differences in armament.
The engine also remained the same as the classic Ba.65, as it was equipped with a 725 hp Isotta Fraschini K.14 engine, which by adding the additional defensive weapon, allowed the aircraft to reach a maximum speed of 410 km/h.

Specifications.

Spoiler

Length: 9.3m
Wingspan: 12.0 m
Wing surface area: 23.50 m²
Maximum height: 2.98 m
Maximum weight: 4.5 tons
Maximum speed: 430 km/h
Engine: 1x Isotta-Fraschini K.14C
Armament: 2x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT, 2x 7.7 mm Breda-SAFAT and up to 400 kg of bombs

Pictures and drawnings.

Spoiler

Sources.

Spoiler

Breda  Ba
Breda Ba.65 - Wikipedia
Breda Ba.65 - Wikipedia
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM: Il Breda Ba.65 Nibbio era un monoplano monomotore d'assalto ad ala bassa prodotto dall'azienda italiana Società Italiana Ernesto Breda
https://www.colettiscombataircraft.com/item/breda-ba-65/

Gnome-Rhône K14C
Breda Ba.65 | Plane-Encyclopedia
Breda Ba 65 - Aeronautica Militare
Breda Ba.65 K-14: Looking the part. | Aviation Rapture

4 Likes

Kinda reminds me of the Dauntless. +1 from me!

1 Like

Single seater Breda!

1 Like

Very nice, another photo:
Screenshot 2024-07-14 170847

2 Likes