Better and High-Fidelity Pilot Model for US Navy and Marine Corps Aircraft in WW2

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This suggestion was revised and reposted from my original suggestion in old forums.

Remodeling the USN/USMC Aviators in Game

Many years ago, German, Russian, British, and Japanese pilots received their skin remodels in the game. The US Navy and Marine Corps pilots have yet to get their overhaul. It was way overdue.

Therefore, I’d like to suggest major remodels for American pilots and gunners in the aircraft that belonged to the World War II-era US Navy and US Marine Corps with accurate flight suit equipment in its retrospective time.

Problem

Below are the pilot and gunner models look like in-game when flying an American naval aircraft:

The models appear to be low-quality and need a touch-up.

Solution

I suggest updating the old models strongly similar to what pilots and gunners in the US Navy or Marine Corps wore in real life. It should be done by updating pilot and gunner model to wear a khaki overall flight suit, with a bright gold life preserver and an oxygen mask.

Below are some historical photos of the US Navy and Marine Corps aircrew and their flight gear during WW2.

US Navy Aviators

US Marine Aviators

US Naval Gunners

Oxygen Masks

Flight Gear Equipment in Summary

Below is a list of the most commonly issued flight gear equipment for Americans in the USN or USMC service.

Helmet

• NAF-1092 (Early Issued)
  • M-450 (Mid-Issued)
  • AN-6540/AN-6542/AN-6543 (Late Issued)

Goggles

• AN-6530 Goggles (Standard Issue in 1942)
  • B-8 Flying Goggles (Standard Issue in 1944)

Oxygen Mask

• Type C Oxygen Mask (Issued in 1942-1945)
  • A-14 Oxygen Mask (Standard Issue in 1943-1945)

Flight Suit

• M-668 Khaki Lightweight Flight Suit
  • Canvas belt with a holster for ammunition magazines
  • Colt 1911 Automatic Pistol M1916 Leather Holster

Survival Vest

• ‘Mae West’ Mark 1 Life Vest (Early issued)
  • B-4 Life Preserver (Late issued)

Parachute Pack

• Seat Parachute Pack
  • Quick Attachable Seat Parachute Pack

Gloves

• Black or Yellow Flying Gloves Navy

Boots

• Black or Brown Shoes Navy

Conclusion

The old American pilot model is gradually showing its age with low quality and desperately needs to be overhauled in War Thunder. This proposal would make the new American model much more accurate and have high visual quality to stay updated in the fast-growing game with every new patch. The current old model of the pilots and gunners of the USN/USMC could receive some touch-ups and additional flight gear equipment to accurately represent the American naval aviators in the Pacific Theater of Operations during 1941-1945.

See Also - Other Pilot Remodel Suggestions

Sources

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion! 😃

4 Likes

An absolute +1 from me, It’s a definitely way over due and would be a nice QOL change

1 Like

Hey everybody. I have updated the formatting for better readability and viewing.

Looking forward to seeing a new pilot model for the USN/USMC aircraft anytime soon, even if it’s at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Great post! I highly agree. I feel like WT is completely neglecting WW2 and Korea in order to squeeze money from modern issues. If we can convince them they can make money from further investment into WW2, they’ll add the changes.