Better and High-Fidelity Crew Model for USAAF Bombers in WW2

Would you like to see this in-game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

This suggestion was revised and reposted from my original suggestion in old forums.

Remodeling the Bomber Crew in Game

Many years ago, German, Russian, British, and Japanese pilots received their skin remodels in War Thunder. The American bomber crew have yet to get their overdue major overhaul.

Therefore, I’d like to suggest major skin remodels for American pilots and gunners with accurate flight suit equipment in its retrospective time.

Problem

Below is what the bomber crew model looks like in-game when flying an American bomber.

It appears the model is low quality and is missing a bright gold life preserver and other equipment.

Solution

I suggest updating the old models strongly similar to what bomber aircrewmen wore in real life. I propose to separate the bomber crew model into two models: one for officers who operated the bomber aircraft and one for technical sergeants who operated the gunner turrets. It should be done by adding the missing bright gold life preservers to the models, and the other flight gear equipment could be added as well. Generally, the quality of the model should be updated.

Below are some historical photos of the American bomber crew and their flight gear during WW2.

Bomber Aircrewmen

Bomber Gunners

Flight Gear Equipment in Summary

Below is a list of the most commonly issued flight gear equipment for American bomber aircrew in USAAF service.

• Pilots and Officers

• Helmet:
      • Crusher cap with headset
      • Leather AN-H-16 helmet
    • Goggles:
      • Silver AN-6530 goggles
      • Black B-8 goggles
    • Flak vest (when protective vest module is researched and activated)
  • Gunners and Technical Sergeants

• Helmet:
      • Drab brown shearling cap with headset
      • M3 flak helmet (when protective vest module is researched and activated)
    • Goggles:
      • Silver AN-6530 goggles
      • Black B-8 goggles
    • Flak vest (when protective vest module is researched and activated)
  • All

• A-9 to A-14 Oxygen Masks
    • Flight Jacket:
      • Thicker leather B-3 flight jacket
      • Warmer B-10 flight jacket
    • Leather Gloves
    • B-3 / B-4 Life Preservers
    • Parachute Pack:
      • Chest Parachute Pack
      • Back Parachute Pack
    • A-3 or A-9 Flying Trousers
    • Leather Flight Boots

Conclusion

The old American pilot model is gradually showing its age with low quality and desperately needs to be overhauled in War Thunder. This proposal would make the new American model much more accurate and have high visual quality to stay updated in the fast-growing game with every new patch. The current old model of the bomber crew could receive some touch-ups and additional flight gear equipment to accurately represent both officers and technical sergeants in the European Theater of Operations and Mediterranean Theater of Operations during 1942-1945.

Video

This is an excellent video that dissects the historical flight gear of the USAAF bomber crew.

See Also - Other Pilot Remodel Suggestions

Sources

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion! 😃

2 Likes

+1, good to improve game fidelity to history. Additionally, IIRC some US bombers have flak vests as an upgrade module, so I suggest they should have vest-less crew in the visual model until the upgrade is unlocked

2 Likes

Hey everybody. I have updated the formatting for better readability and viewing.

Looking forward to seeing a new crew model for the USAAF bombers anytime soon, even if it’s at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Considering Germany got the Wehrmacht uniforms and Russia got Cold War uniforms you’d think this would be something easy to do +1 from me man