Base Bombing Needs to be fixed

I actually like Denmark a lot in Sim EC, but then I like the A-10, and for that aircraft’s role, Denmark is great (also for the A-6E, btw, to “stay on topic”…).

As map sizes go, Denmark is one of the 6 “large” maps with 128x128km. I’d also prefer larger maps for high tier, 128x128 is the absolute bearable minimum, all the small maps are completely unsuited I find for anything above, say, 10.3.

Here my personal assessment and view of the six “large” maps:

Afghanistan

• Most mountainous of all maps
  • Weather often a really strong negative impact
  • High elevation of northern airfields may have strong impact on aircraft performance
  • Good for fighters requiring a more sneaky playstyle
  • Bad for bombing, as CCRP doesn’t work on high elevation targets, also bases are difficult to spot visually

Denmark

• Only large map with significant naval forces and carriers
  • Very flat, impossible to hide anywhere or be sneaky
  • Great for attackers like A-10, thanks to proximity of ground battle events to airfields (at least for forces spawning south)
  • Good for base bombing, offering also possibility to divert to naval targets if a base gets “snacked” away

Rocky Canyon

• Varying landscape thanks to large canyon, offering some interesting options
  • Weather sometimes a really strong negative impact, especially if spawning in the south (low visibility on airfields)

Sinai

• Desert map, so air and ground targets are often visible form very far away (good and bad)
  • Suez Gulf separates map east/west, with west often moderately “safe” for bombers
  • Good for base bombing, bases also easily visible without aid
  • Great for attackers, ground battle targets are very easily visible
  • One of only two maps with convoys (offering more target opportunities - but they’re dangerous targets…)

Spain

• Varying landscape, providing good cover in the mountains, but also ocean.
  • Surprisingly, it’s rarely seen in high tiers (haven’t flown it often myself either)

Vietnam

• Varying landscape, providing good cover in the mountains, but unfair distribution north/south
  • Interesting for fighters, bombers, attackers alike
  • Can be tricky for attackers as ground battle targets are sometimes difficult to see
  • One of only two maps with convoys (offering more target opportunities - but they’re dangerous targets…)
1 Like

Is it really? It feels miniscule? Maybe ive been to harsh on it then…

The only sim maps i particularly like at top tier are afghanistan, Spain, Vietnam, and Rocky canyon

Spain specifically being the best top tier sim EC map imo

1 Like

Hm, definitely have to try Spain more…

But generally I really hope they introduce 256x256 maps soon, especially when advanced Fox 3 missiles come. AMRAAM on a 64x64km map is just ridiculous…

1 Like

The consequences of conceiving certain vehicles as mere tools or transit means to progress in the vehicle hierarchy, rather than presenting them as integral options to enrich specific gameplay styles as destination vehicles.
Is there anyone who truly enjoys piloting a bomber, finding competitive and immersive value in them as they would with top-tier beasts (because apparently everyone longs to get there, to the point of self sacrifice), or do they simply use them to accumulate profit points without dedicating real interest?"

1 Like

Raises hand

I actually enjoy playing bombers and attackers, not for grinding, but as a playstyle.

My Sim EC career actually started with the A-7D, then later got the A-6E when it came out, enjoyed both a lot. Then of course Harrier (mostly Gr.1) and Milan. Even later, I got the Tornado IDS MFG, and like this one very much as well. There’s something about sneaking towards a target at treetop level, evading enemy air defense and dropping a load of iron onto a target that I always liked…

Sure, flying fighters and besting your (human) opponent in aerial combat is very interesting and especially fulfilling, but that does not mean that a bomber or attacker playstyle can not be enjoyed, or must be used only for grinding trees and events.

2 Likes

You and me both, ive been begging for larger maps for a while. You’re the game master, you have a lil more pull id think

Id also love to see maps like Guiana Highlands, Mountain Ridge, Pacific Hidden Base, and Alpine meadows reworked and rescaled to max in-game size. I had made a suggestion on the old forums, but trying to remake it on this mew forum and it got killed 8x in a row so I gave up.

WT already has increadible maps, theyre just old arcade maps that have been lost to time and need a little modernizing.

Flying bombers/attackers is nice and unique, I just wished bombing targets actually had value to the match. Make them GBAD sites or ground based radar or something, give people a reason to bomb them beyond RP and tickets…

Nope, not those (at best) semi-fictional maps please! I’d rather have realistic scenarios and scenery: Balkans, Southern Iraq/Kuwait, maybe even Kamtschatka, Bering Street, Northern Sweden/Murmansk, Central Europe…

All those would be (alternative) historically and geographically/topologically interesting playgrounds…

1 Like

Guiana highlands is a real place though… so is mountain Ridge (himalayas), and alpine meadows is the alps iirc… the only one thats fictional afaik is PHB.

Theyd all be great maps for adding terrain amd being overall interesting maps, and would reduce the work load on gaijins map designers

Guiana highlands irl:

Spoiler

For whatever reason it wont let me add the pics, ill try again later

So by spending $80 you find yourself in a horrible position that a F2P player would never be in plus you are that much poorer,so why should anybody pay to play this game?

In all fairness I’ve heard some people find joy in playing bombers due to genuine interest but even they demand changes.
Hell, I myself take attackers into ARB to groundpound because I enjoy it as a concept and am interested in strike aircraft.

I wouldnt agree to that: Those maps have a certain esthetic and the name fitting for it, but are not realistically modelled after their namesake.

Instead of Alpine Meadows, for example, the air map of the ground location Frozen Pass, would be much more realistic as an “Alpine” scenery, as it’s actually quite well modelled after the surroundings of Innsbruck, Austria…

[details=“Spoiler”]

[/details]

WT’s Alpine Meadows doesn’t look like the Alps at all, more like a generic decades old random “mountain” scenery…

Spoiler

Guiana highlands is almost perfectly modelling the irl location tho… god i wish the pictures were working rn. You can google it though, its really easy

Edit: they work now

Technically its missing stuff like waterfalls in-game

Not to say that there arent other great mountainous maps that could be based on irl locales, just that these maps already exist in-game. Adjusting them to EC size would be less work than making ehole new maps…

Actually, I was referring to the outdated piston bombers; like the P.108 or the B-25.

I don’t doubt that some minorities find certain enjoyment in their own personal logic. However, it’s extremely difficult to perceive an immersive value in them, that is, to feel that they truly integrate into the game world in a coherent manner with the realities of war. Nor inherent competitive value that contributes to the player’s success in competitive situations or the achievement of common objectives. They fail to effectively integrate into a legitimate style of gameplay; rather, they remain as marginal solutions, seeking to provide some useful purpose, such as the “speedrun” bomber that head straight to the nearest base or the 30 tons “turret fighter” that that take off without bombs.

They do want people bombing, just not every single player every single game. The teamkilling race is because of the toxic players, not Gaijin. You can successfully loiter andbstrike bases on respawn. I’ve done it with every bomber, striker, and multirole aircraft in the US tree at one point or another.

Again, the base respawn speed was an unintended change. They didn’t ever want to to be so fast and they just fixed it. They weren’t trying ro do anything but fix a broken mechanic.

Again, the base respawn speed was an unintended change. They didn’t ever want to to be so fast and they just fixed it. They weren’t trying ro do anything but fix a broken mechanic.

1 Like

I know that most of those people would fight and learn how to play better if it gave more rewards and was more efficient to get to what they actually want to play. However removing the only way of them getting the vehicles in a “reasonable” amount of time (its horrible and should be fixed but thats a different problem" would probably make most people quit seeing as their only way of getting anything “quickly” is gone.

Man who the hell decided on increasing the base respawn time form 45 seconds to 5 minutes? Like it has made bombing completely useless. Bombers already had almost no place in this game after all the other changes, but holy hell. The respawn time has made it impossible, especially with jet bombers. People used to ping bases, and respect someone else’s ping because the wait was only 45 seconds, now everyone rushes the bases, no one respects pings, and people TK over. It’s dumb that the player base has shifted like this, but it is 100% Gaijins fault.

The targets that give close to zero rewards beyond literally just making your activity timer look better?

The targets that will get you killed if you decide to go after them due to you being an easy target in the direct center of the map?

Those targets?

LOL the attacker is not made for bombing ground targets

God, this is why gaijin continues to mke their game worse by selling pay to win aircraft…

The A6E would be a terrible bomber at its current BR due to its speed and armament choices.

Aircraft should always be the primary target of any plane that is able to deal with them. I think it is unbalanced, but that doesn’t mean players should use it incorrectly.