BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

Yeah, it was

A question about the HUD symbology, @Gunjob, if I may ask: Will the Velocity Vector (flight path marker) of this or any HUD work correctly eventually in War Thunder?

1 Like

Do the velocity vectors not currently work?

Would have to test again, but I do not know a single HUD in WT where the Velocity Vector acts correctly.

The VV’s aircraft symbols all are fixed to the centerline, apparently, and not actually point where the aircraft is going…

1 Like

Never seen any of them work either, recently went on to the wiki to check some things and apparently we dont even have any Velocity Vectors in game only “Aircraft Symbol” whatever thats supposed to be.

@Schindibee @EggyMan I’m pretty sure the A-7 HUD has a velocity vector. You can see in this screenshot that my aircraft is pitched up at 40° with the velocity vector at 35° and the HUD is reading 35°.

Spoiler

No, that’s really just a fixed aircraft symbol. Look a this screenshot for example:

Note the cockpit’s variometer: I’m descending, but the flight path marker still points steadily at the sky?!?

Note also how the horizon bar is way above the horizon actually.

In comparison, see this A-7 instruction video (especially 11:20 onward), and note how horizon bar is fixed to the actual horizon (slightly offset here because of parallax of the slightly lower HUD camera than pilot’s eye line), and stays there, and the velocity vector actually pointing where the aircraft is heading to (here: the runway threshold):

3 Likes

Pretty sure what is happening here is that with Aircraft is that instructor flies to point the Barrel Reference Line (Gun) at the point of aim, not the nose of the aircraft, so basically they make it fly nose up and so the HUD is effectively offset slightly.

The aircraft symbol is position between the 0 and the -5 attitude lines on the HUD, so it accurately shows that you are losing altitude. You could argue that all the HUD elements are are incorrectly offset from where they should be relative to the horizon outside the aircraft, but that aircraft symbol is showing you velocity vector correctly relative to the attitude bars.

No, just try to fly an approach in WT, you will never get the VV where it’s supposed to be. All other sims in the industry, be that DCS, MSFS, whatever, manage to do it correctly, WT doesn’t even get close.

Ironically however, WT DOES have a correctly working VV - in HUD-only view if you have low speed ad gears down…

It could still be WiP but currently it can only identify S-125, 2S6, and 9K3, for everything else it’s using bands + PD + CW

Spoiler

1 Like

I known for a while but its been bugging me a lot recently, the Sea Harrier FRS.1 (both versions) has a pitot tube that is too short. Can someone please make a reaccuring bug report for this?

Done.

1 Like

Has anyone bug reported the fact the Sea Harriers should be able to carry 1000lb bombs on their outer pylons?

I tried looking but couldn’t find a bug report (the search feature is questionable)

On the grounds that you probably want to actually use those pylons for missiles. We are probably better off fighting for: Community Bug Reporting System

at least for the FA2.

That would be great too, the FA2 for some reason already gets 1000lb bombs on the outer pylons

However, especially for sim and GRB, the FRS 1 with 7000lb of bombs total would be nice

I dont know if you can use the twin stores at the same time as bombs on the outer pylon. That is a Gunjob question

I’ve also done some research recently and have found enough info for a 12.0 Sea Harrier

Should I continue?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

What do you mean?

I’ve done research on the Sea Harrier FRS.2 before the specs where change for what would become the FA.2

And it would be fun in-game