BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

That’s the one! Awesome.

You still have to compete with supersonic jet for the kills

Whatever you are expecting, it is worse

1 Like

There’s definitely something up with this thing’s heat signature. I genuinely don’t think I’ve flared a single missile that was fired at me from behind.

2 Likes

All the Harriers seem to have very hot engines, it does make sense as it produces like 10,000kgf of thrust, but still it feels hotter than a lot of afterburning jets

3 Likes

An F5 that’s running an afterburner has a lower IR signature than the harrier…because Gaijin…they don’t model afterburner plumes as IR signatures

7 Likes

No, its just that temperature is based on the cockpit gauges, and F5 has the measuring device in front of the engine, resaulting in lower temps

1 Like

Yeah but I distinctly remember flaring missiles without issue in the GR.3, which I have played quite a bit. This new one though…it gets stomped on by Aim9G’s, J’s, H’s, L’s, M’s (but what doesn’t have issues with an M), R60M’s…
I wonder if it is something with the new engine

1 Like

new engine with more thrust, so it probably has a higher engine tempt than the old leading to more trouble flaring…

Gaijin really need to sort out the sea harriers engine trouble, less smokey engines unless at 100% throttle, rebuff the flares or reduce engine temp as its a stupid balancing decision to flat out nerf BOLs because of the grippens (which are now on more equal fotting after the arh introduction so th nerf should be changed back anyway).

Yeah, and those temps are lower than they should be.

But it’s ‘not a bug’

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/XA4uTA29qiaR

2 Likes

Well BOL works now, yippee!

Though it is a shame none on the double mount, that would be really nice, oh well.

3 Likes

isnt it a combination of the BOL nerf and the hot engine temp that makes flaring hard in the Shar?

Yet again, had an enemy SU27 on my nose, within 5 miles, locked, fired amraam, tracks perfect until last second before impact/detonation…decides to yeet itself into orbit.

Proceeded to receive an R77 from a different SU27 as a consolation prize.

Gaijin don’t implement something half arsed challenge (impossible)

1 Like

Yes, HEAT signature is modelled based on thrust and someone said on RPM too?? Anyway, YAK-141 has exact same problem as all Harriers, very high thrust engine. So it is typical

Harriers should have low engine temps, because it uses mostly compressed air as thrust it has much much lower temps than, say an A4 for example. Might be wrong for 2nd Gens Harrier engines but the first I know I’m right.
P.S. The place in the engine where the temp are gotten for war thunder are a bit after the combustion but before more cooling air comes in that bypasses the combustion chamber

2 Likes

just noticed this?

4 Likes

I believe its been bug reported.

1 Like

In the SHar FA2 if i have a loadout with just bombs i am unable to use the normal gun sight. This might affect anything that uses harrier gr3 hud.

If you have bombs selected with the weapon selector that is correct. You can either use the Y menu to switch the sight mode or exit the weapon selection mode.

Yeah i’ve noticed that too