BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

Should do right

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it does have data link. Never seen anything to suggest otherwise.

1 Like

That’s a relief. Would be a shame to let the Blue Vixen go to waste without it

The HUD appears to be incomplete in the Sea Harrier FRS1 models.

Excerpt From p.194
Sea Harrier FRS 1 vs Mirage III/Dagger
Doug Dildy
This material may be protected by copyright.

“The SHAR’s flight parameters – 479 knots airspeed, turning through 120° heading and 360ft altitude – are presented along the bottom of the HUD.

The radar is tracking the target and the AIM‑9L ‘missile head angles’ diamond is over the Dagger’s heat source. According to retired Cdr Mike ‘Soapy’ Watson, ‘With the radar tracking the target, a “radar cross” was positioned in the HUD over the target. This was a hollow +, and, if you looked through it, the target is through the centre – outstandingly useful. If you select the missile to “slave” it would follow radar angles both in azimuth and elevation. The “missile pointing” is indicated by a missile cross, which is a hollow X. So with the radar locked and missile selected to “slave” they should be in the same place. You would run in until you got a tone from the missile head.

If you were happy with where the missile was pointing, you would press the “accept” button on the stick, at which time the missile would lock to the target. This would be indicated by the missile head “growl” changing to a chirping sound and the missile cross turning to a diamond over the heat source.”

HUD

1 Like

Yes, at the moment the Sea Harrier is using the Harrier GR.3’s HUD. It should have a completely different HUD.

1 Like

Do you have any images of what it should look like?

Something like this:

3 Likes

New report in: Sea Harrier FRS.1 & FRS.1(e) - Missing radar gun sight

1 Like

You realize that this is a Sea harrier thread which all have radars?

Damn. This bulbous thing on the front was just filled with cement? Why did the MoD lie to us?

1 Like

He talks about the conversation that was about Shar 2 with AMRAAM coming, that got onto 8B and Gr7

he was meaning the GR7 which had no radar

True, but also replying to nearly 2 month comment is…

1 Like

I am just stating the 11.7 harrier in UK tree has no radar, so adding AMRAAM to it is impossible. Did not realise it was a 2 month old comment, my bad

Well, no problem, also i dont think his means the AMRAAM on the Gr7, he meant that Gr7 was added as a last second thing with nothign, and italy could have got 8B as a last second thing with AMRAAM, with no guarantee of UK getting SHar 2

2 Likes

Oh yeah, didn’t see that.
@Malekitth I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, you are totally right

1 Like

Hey to change the topic a bit.

Does the Shar 2 have an HMD like the GR.9’s or F/A 18’s but not an HMS (Helmet Mounted Sight) like on Russian jets?

No

That’s sad, but @Gunjob do you think it would OK to talk about the Harrier III?

GR3? did you mean