BAe Sea Harrier - Technical data and discussion

So far I’ve been firing them when they’re within the range arcs on TWS, I’ve got 4 kills that way so far.

I try to keep the radar painting them until missile goes active unless I need to break off and defend.

However using hard lock, I’ve had my missile randomly pull a hard 90 just before reaching the target.

When doing things at close range, just before the min range arc, the missiles havent tracked properly for me in either tws or hard lock.

they fix the bug on the harrier gr7 but why the fa2 didn’t?they are almost the same bug that caused the BOL pods to not carry any countermeasures

1 Like

Damn im just about to log in to see if it was fixed on the FA2.

It has been reported for the FA2 hasnt it?

Weekend now here, we wont see a fix now until next week.

No, it seems that nobody reported it Because everybody thinks is normal.

I’ve thrown a report in for the FA.2 as well.

6 Likes

1 bug down, a dozen more to go

Tornado F3 late has been fixed too

5 Likes

I’m not saying I condone this, but you can literally just sit on your airfield and spam AMRAAMS at people from VTOL with the Harrier

They can’t shoot back at you, and you can resupply and get more in like 20 seconds

It’s pretty broken

1 Like

I saw a vid earlier of an AV8B+ Hovering at a heli pad and just yeeting amraams and getting kills in a GFRB match.

Yep, you can basically use the Harriers like SPAAs in ground RB lol

It’s funny but a bit unfair, at least the Harrier has a gimick

Literally the only purpose of getting the shitty airframe sea harrier is to give a proper AA for my challenger 2 line up

2 Likes

I am tempted to try these yeet tactics, but I feel it kind of goes against the spirit of the SHAR, do you really get satisfaction abusing a bugged/broken loophole shooting people down with an I win button? What are we, tomcat pilots over here guys?

Nah, I will reject that reality and continue to fight fairly so when they see my SHAR on their kill cam, they know damn well they got boolied by an “inferior plane”.

Highly rewarding in AirSB.

Those long range AMRAAM kills against incoming SU27s is just Chefs Kiss

Ive had more success yeeting off AMRAAMs and not keeping a TWS Lock than actually keeping TWS lock on a target.

Fairly? Fair went out the window when they started matching us up against jets like the f5, which we cant do squat against. If im gonna be forced to face 13.0 every game with more than 4 of them on each side, im gonna do anything i can to get kills. Plus the hovering ARH is basically just a chinese heli so why not use it to kill all the f16c, su 25 scum that spawn in ground.

Few more matches in the SHar and i feel its gonna go down in BR, but only to around 12.0

AIM7M & R27ER outperform it and AMRAAM with ease.

SubSonic Fox 3 carriers dont belong tied in with air superiority fighters.

like dont get me wrong, it can work, but a good player in an Air Superiority fighter with SARH missiles can wipe out a harrier before it becomes a threat.

1 Like

how is its radar? is it any good?

Radar is fine, you can pick out target and maintain a TWS lock with ease.

Problem is being subsonic and lack of maneuverability (And lack of HMD that some jets have at that BR) put you at a huge disadvantage when you’re detected.

You have to play it like the FRS.1, but harder.
Be opportunistic. Don’t go hunting, take out unsuspecting targets instead.

As previously mentioned, easiest solution for sim is to add new brackets where its not constantly pitted against Air Superiority fighters.

RB it’ll end up at 12.0, any lower and it’d cause problems…further adding for the need of br decompression

Question I have though.

Any reason the FA.2 has a slower top speed than the FRS.1 on the stat card?

FRS.1 tops at 720mph, FA.2 tops at 705mph.

Weight increase of the Pegasus 106 & Blue Vixen?

1 Like

Been using the frs as practise, and what ive found is playing it at lt just works so much better. you dont see as many f5s up high, and you can just notch SARH missiles (which is alot easier than dodging ir and bullets.

1 Like

FRS1 is good practice to get used to the handling.

I tend to keep to low alt and utilise terrain masking.

I can usually be found on Sim Denmark in the FRS1, RPing as fleet defence of the ships and carrier.
Get quite a few kills taking out bombers/attackers playing the objectives.
Depending on cloud cover, go between 5k-10k feet and take up a CAP orbit then profit.

I’d love for the frs1 to get sea eagle, so I can play the aggressive objective in that map, taking out the enemy carrier.

For the fa 2 it depends on how big the match is, and which team has superiority.

If it’s a quiet lobby, I’ll go med-high alt, no higher than where contrails start, and go on the hunt. Get a AMRAAM or two off before going cold.

Busy lobby or enemy advantage, I’ll stay low and terrain mask, popping up and attempting to take out targets above me (rarely maintaining tws lock so I can go back to hugging the deck if my rwr goes nuts)

In both scenarios, I’ve found once you’re locked, you’re more likely to be wiped out than being able to successfully defend, given that what you face, are better in every aspect.

Notching or going cold can easily be countered due to speed an manoeuvrability of the enemy if they close the distance.

Is it me, or are Flares non-functional on the Sea Harrier FA2?

Had multiple R-73s and Magic IIs that I just oculdnt flare, no matter what I did, I could not flare, but Aim-9M in rear aspect against an AB target is an instant flare defeat

3 Likes