[Which aircraft are to be equipped with ASM-1 missiles?]
  • F-1
  • F-4EJ Kai
  • F-2
  • no
0 voters

f1-0003b
ASM-1 type 80 ( 80式空対艦誘導弾)
The ASM-1 is a Japanese anti-ship missile that was developed in 1980. The missiles can be used to destroy a variety of surface targets, including ships, convoys, lightly armored vehicles, buildings, and bridges. It was the first such system in Japan since World War II. He is the father of all subsequent anti-ship missiles in Japan.
History
In 1972, work began on converting the T-2 into a support fighter, later named the F-1. At the same time, Europe began to develop anti-ship missiles, so the JASDF decided that they also needed such a missile to defend their home islands. On November 30, 1973, a new anti-ship missile was ordered, and the first design sketches were ready on March 29, 1974, and the technical report was ready on August 10, 1974.Between 1974 and 1978, work was underway on a prototype missile, which was then called XASM-1. In 1975, technical tests of the prototype began, and in 1977 the first launch tests of the XASM-1 missiles were performed. In May 1979, the JASDF missile began its own practical tests. The tests were supposed to involve 15 missiles that were supposed to hit simulated targets. The test target was destroyed by the first test missile, so it was decided to use a real ship for testing.A Tacoma-class frigate named Kaya was used for this, but also in this case the first missile worked perfectly and sank the ship with the first hit. Because of its high effectiveness, the XASM-1 missile was accepted by the JASDF in 1980 as a Type 80 air-to-ship guided munition. The main carrier of the missiles was supposed to be the F-1 aircraft, but it was also mounted on the F-4EJ Kai, F-2 aircraft.

XASM-1

ASM-1

ASM-1 type 80

04msw44
7ky4-hmhhnqt5610901

asm1_01
R (1)

japan-asm-1

ASM-1 mounted on the F-1

R (3)

f1-0003b
OIP (1)
R (2)

ASM-1 mounted on the F-4EJ Kai

dbadc976-s
b74bd531-s
a82abfe7-s
EJpveubUEAIBiIx-768x576

Structure description
The missile has a cigar-shaped fuselage with four main wings in the center and four steering wings at the end. The missile consists of a sensor part, a guidance part, a warhead and an engine part. The engine is a solid-fuel rocket.The four-axis torsion blades are driven by an electric servo, with a maximum steering angle of ±20 degrees and a maximum output torque of 3.5 kgf·m.

Technical sketches

Mode of action
An inertial downward stripe guidance method is used as the guidance method for the intermediate route, and active radar guidance (ARH) is used for the end range. The operating frequency of the radar is the X-band. In addition, as a marine skimmer, it is equipped with an FM/CW radio altimeter to measure flight altitude.Before take-off, the target position is entered into the inertial navigation device embedded in the missile, and in the case of indirect flight, this inertial navigation device is used to fly at skimming altitude just above the sea surface using a radio altimeter, and when a certain distance is reached, the built-in active radar is activated to direct to the location with the highest radar reflection.
General characteristics

• Length: 3,98 cm
  • Wing Span: 1,19 cm
  • Steering paddles: 90,5 cm
  • Diameter: 35 cm
  • Weight: 600 kg
  • Main Engine: Single stage solid propellent Rocket motor
  • Max Speed: 0.9 Mach
  • Guidance Method: Inertial guidance and terminal active radar homing
  • Range: 50 km when Inertial guidance is in operation and the terminal system active radar homing 9.3 km
  • Warhead: High-explosive warhead with a mass of 150 kg

Summary
The ASM-1 anti-ship missile would be a very interesting addition for Japanese aircraft. It allows it to destroy targets from afar, and thanks to its large warhead, it would be able to destroy thickly armored targets. As I understand it, it is also capable of destroying ground targets, such as tanks and buildings, which will improve Japanese CAS capabilities, which is very much needed. I encourage you to discuss in the comments and share your own knowledge on this topic.
Finally, I apologize for the linguistic and logical errors because unfortunately English is not my main language and I had to use google translator.

Sources

Wayback Machine (archive.org)
80式空対艦誘導弾 - Wikipedia
Type 80 Air-to-Ship Missile - Wikipedia
Уголок неба ¦ TYPE 91 ASM-1C (airwar.ru)
航空自衛隊装備品 ミサイル ASM-1 80式空対艦誘導弾 (photo-web.cc)
産業技術史資料データベース (kahaku.go.jp)
ASM-1 - Rocksim Design File (rocketreviews.com)
ASM-1 | Weaponsystems.net
About: Type 80 Air-to-Ship Missile (dbpedia.org)
80式空対艦誘導弾 - 航空軍事用語辞典++ (mmsdf.sakura.ne.jp)
mod.go.jp/asdf/airpark/GUIDE/equipment/weapon/asm1.html

5 Likes

It would greatly increase the ability for Japan to use guided air-to-ground weapons. +1

2 Likes

I’m not sure if I understood everything about ASM-1, I’m still not 100% whether it is capable of hitting ground targets. However, ASM-2 (a future suggestion) can now hit ground targets thanks to GIS

3 Likes

Hopefully it can! Giving a guided weapon to the F-1 and F-4EJ Kai would be great.

3 Likes