Anniversary of the Founding of the Corps of Royal Engineers: The Centurion AVRE Returns!

I’ve haf this tank since about 2016/17 it’s the most hit and miss vehicle I’ve ever used, hesh has never worked properly and has had countless bug reports about it. It’s fun when it works but annoying af when it doesn’t.

1 Like

Test drive is useless since it’s perfect conditions,. Do a real test in game and see how many times it works. I cannot be bothered to even open the game. Just giving people advice since I have the AVRE.

Just saying HESH ain’t like every other rounds,… yet i found them good enough to be used in between 5.7-9.0 tanks (over that 9.0 BR there is to many ERA systems)

HESH totally useless now, before 105 and 120 mm HESH on cupola or turret roof onetapped,now it does nothing. Then on AVRE it got nerfed to crap, shot T-54 into turret, killed one guy, then next shot into hull where ammo is, destroyed fuel tank. Some time ago these shots would just obliterate it entirely with first shot.

1 Like

Well tests makes me believe you didn’t shot correctly,…

look at any warthunder youtuber, they have all had bad experiences with HESH, none of them like using it, it fails to overpressure when normal HE should and sometimes just does not do damage

2 Likes

No because some youtubers playing like are playing most people, can’t be wrong about how to use HESH rounds,…

That’s my point already.

HESH - High Explosive Squashing Head

By definition you need to have it squashed on some armor, but the more you squash it the less effective it will be,… → you need to fire on corners that would keep the explosive around.

Nothing to fancy though,… Turret rings, Cupolas or simply right under the gun barrel.

So in perfect conditions on a very diverse range of tanks it has a less then 50% chance of killing a tank in your own supplies data. Additionally 36% did nothing to stop the enemy returning fire.

You didn’t shoot at a king tiger which I very specifically mentioned.

Just remember in real life the 185mm HESH cracked the hull on a conqueror tank.

165mm AVRE round was fired at a king tiger in testing. All frontal hull shots were kills and the welding cracked meaning the hull was broken. A glancing blow to the front of the turret where half the patt missed killed the crew. A direct hit blew the turret out of its mount. A side hit to the hulls track plates immobilised the tank and broke the hull dismembering multiple crew and a shot to the rear of the turret shattered the rear door completely gone and turned the crew to mush.

Not of this is an accurate presentation of how HESH works in the game.

And the High Explosive part of the HESH round has no explosive blast effect only a minor shrapnel ling effect so it doesn’t have the ability to kill in the same way a high calibre HE shell can.

1 Like

Some of the most fun ive had in this game is with this vehicle! It has a long reload time but it can take a beating and if one of the HESH rounds makes contact 💥💀

yeah right, thats how you “supposed” to use it, now tell me, what do i do when gaijin says yeah that ricochet off of a 30 degree angle, or just doesnt do anything? or refuses to overpressure a same TNT equivalent HE shell would overpressure

2 Likes

Awesome! 🫡

With the 25 shots i’ve made, only a 183mm HESH round bounced off the Gun Barrel,…

And from my own in-game experience:
Let me believe that bounce problem is on your side.

Those don’t works the same way, as they’re not spreaded on the armor surface before exploding, but exploding from inside a casing, which happens to break causing Overpressure → that’s a different way of exploding, which make result different,…

If you prefer to use Pure HE, then do.

They could have fixed the bugs on this vehicle before putting it up for sale. Yabesta reported the error that the added armor plate of the hull is around 50mm and not 10mm, and the damage from the bullet would have to be checked. 165mm, since it is too random and sometimes ridiculous damage for a 40kg bullet.

HESH can and does but it absolutely shouldn’t. Literally impossible with the rounds design.

im not talking FV4005, im talking the other (Smaller) HESH rounds, like the 120mm rounds,

so bouncing off of the flat centre of an abrams turret neck is my fault?

sure HESH flattens itself before detonating, however that does not change the fact that a shit ton of exposive has just gone off, with the related shockwave, despite the HESH having the SH part, it is effective the same as a HE shell, Like a HEAT shell; Ton of explosive in a tin can, in terms of overpressure it should be around equivalent as a HE/HEAT shell not severly inferior as it is in game, if HESH so either A) Hesh Overpressure is underperforming, B) Normal HE/HEAT overpressure is overperforming.

If you continue to disagree, I want either a diagram or video showing exactly WHY HESH shouldn’t overpressure as much, otherwise I will likely not see your point properly

No tanks apart from the M56, early M48’s, Strv 101/103/104/105 carry HE and HESH Simentaneuously, out of the total number of tanks with HESH thats not a lot.

1 Like

you may need to inform yourself, and so i’ll give you some easy links to read:
HEAT

using Monroe effect to create a violent penetrating force, often accompagnied with copper or other metal.

HESH

while it uses Explosion to create damage, the HESH objective is to create fragments inside the tank, by Spalling the ennemy own armor.

what we were talkiing about was HE Vs HESH, not HEAT, VS HESH, the Munroe effect has no effect on standard HE, Nor HESH

the Munroe effect also has no effect on the pressure required for overpressuring, it is the focusing of the force of an explosion onto a small point for increased effect on said point, with every around being virtually the same

what i am arguing is that HE, HEAT and HESH should all overpressure the same for the same weight of TNT Equivalent

the raw penetration of the shell has no part in this Just the ability of the Shockwave to crack a plate and let said shockwaves pressure damage components and kill crew (the HE shell “penetration” statisitic is the thickness of armour that the explosion can “crack”)

Just because it is designed to spall the enemys own armour off, does not mean the priciples of a HE shell does not apply, Hence why HESH and HEAT are used as Anti Infantry rounds like HE (HEP (High Explosive Plastic) For HESH in UK service, and the HEAT which the US uses for anti infantry is called MPAT (Multi Purpose Anti Tank)) besides, the fact that HE, HESH and HEAT all have High Explosive in the name should be enough of a clue.

Just as AP, APC, APBC, APCBC APHE, APCR, APDS and APFSDS all Armour Piercing at heart. HESH, HEAT and HE are all High Explosive round at heart

Am i blind?
Didn’t you bringed in HEAT in discussion?

No they don’t,…

HE is Overpressuring 100%

HESH is not overpressuring on the same exact way than HE,… while i agree some overpressure should happen, it shouldn’t be on the same effect than HE.

And HEAT,… for the 2nd time now,… is not using onmverpressure at all,…

You currently don’t wanna hear that,… you think that explosion means overpressure the same way for every type of rounds,… and that’s exactly why we’re currently fighting on HESH round.

And btw,… i used several caliber of HESH rounds, and none but 1 bounced off the gun barrel.

1/25 → 4%
I don’t know how you’re getting them to bounces so much that you will bring that on the table,…

as you have quoted for 2/3 examples have said HE/HEAT, they should be the same, just bringing HEAT in as you seem to think onyl HE can overpressure, HEAT does it just like HE

then what is it using? why can HEAT penetrate the empty rear of a BMP and Kill all of the crew?, just like HE does?

and as i said for,

you need to not give snippets so it is out of context

infact you are the first to mention HEAT with the Munroe effect

then what exactly is Overpressuring then? My current understanding is that it is the pressure in the shockwave of an explosive, breaking through an armour plate, and then said shockwave and pressure wreaking havoc on the equipment of a tank and crew

If you can provice a link to somewhere i can read on this and understand fully why if it differs from how i think it works, then this can end here swiftly

1 Like

Overpressure was introduced as a replacement to their old hull break mechanic yet HESH rounds known to literally break tanks hulls, busting welds, shattering armour liquidising crew has zero over pressure at all… So busted