AGM-114 Hellfire - Badly underperforming?

Honestly, idk why gaijin hasnt just added AGM-114L but just modelled it as a mix of either SALH or like a SARH using the longbow radar…

It would give the US a quasi F&F capability and enhance the AH-64D’s survivability, but itd still need to keep its radar in LOS of target and couldnt guide as many missiles at once.

We all know gaijin just doesnt care about realism so this would be a decent compromise I think

6 Likes

Could be, point is that in some firem modes hellfires are quite a bit faster to the target.

I’m familiar with that manual, 37s TOF would be OK if the missile would fly along apropriate trajectory (HI) and climb to corresponding altitude (according to that manual) and remian controlable. It fails to do so in every aspect.
So no whoever did the modeling either ignored half of this manual and other sources or just did not follow it at all.

Or they can just add the Romeo Hellfire.

I have made this bug report, so if you agree that the Hellfire autopilot trajectory needs correction, which should lead to improved performance, please support the report: AGM-114 Hellfire incorrect trajectory
https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/sw9287mvFrkJ

Thanks a lot!
I believe this is quite important since there is a quite list of helicopters where the Hellfire is primary weapon system:

• AH-64 ten vehicles of various versions in game
  • AH-6
  • OH-58 twice
  • G-Lynx
  • A129
  • EC-655

Make the Hellfire finally Great ! :D

8 Likes

The hellfire k iog also works wrong. It should guide the missile to the last known laser location, but instead, when the laser is turned off, it stops whatever it was doing and starts flying in the straight line or falls down the sky, depending how close it was to the last known laser point.

2 Likes

I hope your report gets through, I got tagged as a duplicate of some 3 year old Russian report for a similar thing.

3 Likes

I made this infographic to better ilustrate the issue:

14 Likes

Here’s a (really bad) diagram of the hellfire B’s LOAL in-game

Lock On After Launch has been bugged for a while now, which is one of the headline features of the hellfire. Instead of following towards the target’s last known position using IOG, it instead holds its current angle of attack at the moment of laser loss. As far as I know, it should instead continue on its ballistic trajectory until it either re-locks a target or impacts the ground.

14 Likes

Yes, that is annoying me so much!!!

I would be happy with the working LOBL for a start :)

With the Spike missiles coming to the top French and Italian helicopters in the upcoming patch, maybe we can finally see an improvement or fixes for the Hellfires?

Even if it had proper LOAL /IOG it would be a great buff for it to give it some sort of unique advantage over the current missiles ingame… I’m not sure if the Longbow Hellfires can be added currently due to ignoring smoke (no F&F A2G missiles ingame is capable of doing this at the moment) but at least this might be some sort of compromise to further improve the current Hellfires

1 Like

Bug report it

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder

Posts like this dont get actioned, the devs basically dont ever look at the forums.

So write this up with as much detail and as many sources as you can and submit a bug report.

I’d then DM a tech mod

https://forum.warthunder.com/u?group=Technical%20Moderators

and ask them to check it over and get them to submit it.

This would be a very much needed buff

It was, 9 Months ago

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/ziPj4WbaNlAy

Ah… In that case, devs wont fix it then. By the time bug reports get past about 6 months, I loose hope of them ever getting fixed. Seen CR2 bug reports that are 2 years old still unactioned

Probably be worth tagging or DMing a tech mod. Is probably not going to go through but worth a shot. Might be extra info that can get merged with the other ones.

https://forum.warthunder.com/u?group=Technical%20Moderators

Good luck and great work

So… France and italy getting spikes… Maybe its time for Longbow? or something similar?

There’s nothing similar, it’s Longbow or bust. But I am guessing that we won’t see them this patch, either way with the upcoming ARH update in december, there might be a chance.

Hellfire not reaching target from tree-top, while within guaranteed firing range.
10/10

That above is the trajectory as it appears in the game.
However, if you want to replicate the trajectory depicted in most sources, you can manually induce loft in your hellfire by turning off its laser while in climbing phase, and turning it back on when it is at an acceptable height to reach the target.

Under the same conditions as the first test, but this time with manual lofting, my hellfire has reached the target. Better yet, if it werent for the missile exploding after 8km, it would have reached even farther. Below are my tests with manual lofting

This is more than enough proof that the missile itself is fine, but its being held down by how its coded in the game.

4 Likes

The easiest thing to do would be to straight up implement the IIR AGM-65 variants on the AH-1Z / AH-64.

There is the potential hope that they eventually backport the BGM-176C’s IIR / SALH seeker to the AGM-176 airframe.

or we get the JAGM (AGM-179) with a dual mode MMW/SALH seeker for the AH-1Z, AH-6, OH-58, MH-60, F/A-18, F-35 or AH-64E for the US / UK.

Or at very least add the JCM (AGM-169) which used a tri-modal seeker (SALH / IIR / MMW) and had GPS/INS support.

So there are options just, none with a great chance of actually being implemented any time soon.

1 Like

Honestly with the current amount of damage an AGM-65 does I’d rather stick to Hellfires.

I mean yeah, that’s the problem. AGM-114L shouldn’t be that complicated to implement, essentially they should work like an AS.34.

Realistically speaking, Gaijin wont ever add these, nor will they add longbows for a Looooooooooooooong while. I wont even bother with different hellfire variants like the R, K2A, or others, since thoes will likely NOT come either.