AAM-4 wrong range and weight

im afraid this could be classified? or maybe its just cropped out cuz theres to many useless information

We have already used all of the sources listed here for both reports. The devs only accept concrete numbers.

3 Likes

japan is the most under looked country and many of their info are really hard to find so we cant really find the real document unless its classified.

3 Likes

as I know this pic is from a Military columnist
http://tokyoexpress.info/2014/08/05/欧州製「ミーテイア」空対空ミサイルに日本製シ/

This table is from 「99式空対空誘導弾(改)(aka. AAM-4B) 事前の事業評価 評価書」
Type: government public information
Link: https://warp.da.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/11488652/www.mod.go.jp/j/approach/hyouka/seisaku/13/jizen/youshi/19.pdf
防衛省・自衛隊:平成13年度 事前の事業評価 評価書一覧

some infomation is post at Japanese Weapons Master Thread - #227 by skultew1234
there have a google drive link contain collect of japan gov public data of JSDF and there asset, maybe can check the thread, maybe there have some new data is useful.

And from datamine, looks AAM-4 data hase change in 2.36.0.23

People need to distinguish between Range(Rmax) and Time To Hit(TTH). Most of players, even some experienced ones, consider Rmax is in positive relation, or even equalize it, yet it is not. Especially the missile with small size(i mean, can carried by aircraft size, not the ground launch one) strongly depends on LOFT mechanism to achieve its Rmax, this making missile trajectory more arc-ish, and this causing more TTH than direct fired missile with same spec.

Point is this, current AAM-4 in game has enough Rmax. However, due to its not-configured motor and detailed spec, TTH may need to be adjusted. IMO, final version of AAM-4 may have similar TTH with PL-12 in game. But since its heavy weight(compared by other RAAMS) over 200kg, lacks of acceleration, penaltizes glide speed, TTH may not that exceptional like MICA and AIM-120.

TL DR; AAM-4 may have long range, but may slow due to its heavy weight.

1 Like

So far, with what I’ve tried in test drive with AIM-120A and AAM-4 on the F-15J(M), I can easily hit the higher flying MiG-15 at 32 km launch range with a AIM-120A while flying M 1.1 - M 1.4 @ 7 km ASL while I need to be flying M 1.8+ and launching from 9 km ASL and only hitting 70% of the time with AAM-4.

The issue when I watched the missile with the tracking camera is how hard it lofts and then the speed bleed by the time it arches back down. This is especially worse on targets <3km. For example, when I aim for the MiG-15 that is flying lower (~1km ASL), when my launch parameters are M1.3+ and under 3 km ASL, my max effective range is 15km for the AAM-4 to have enough energy to reach the target. Though it can reach out to 18 km if the target is flying head-on and not maneuvering.

1 Like

Wait, then what numbers are the devs basing the current AAM-4 on?

Imagination?

Current seems to be a placeholder, I can’t imagine them actually believing it has a MICA motor.

Though I am both curious and afraid of what they might do about their “finished” AAM-4…

I hope they base the missile stats on whatever documents are available (even if it doesn’t fit Gaijin’s word for word standard), rather than just having something completely made up… trying to get the devs to change something once it hits the live server is like pulling teeth usually…

2 Likes

pretty much

1 Like

Why in the hell did they decide to add it if it just gets outperformed by AMRAAM anyway, and is a literal downgrade after the AMRAAM, weights more, less range and can carry only 4 of em

1 Like

I suspect that they expected people to come forward with all the necessary sources/information that they’re requiring.

2 Likes

Yea wow and then they are fucking suprised that people are leaking restricted stuff like fucking hell no wonder it’s happening. Just boggles my mind that they want concrete numbers for something that is so hard if not impossible to get because we are reaching the most modern stuff and they’re unwilling to just take the right, logical guesses as an answer

1 Like

And then they use fictitious numbers pull from who knows where for their current model of it too. Everyone is aware but despite our efforts, they won’t accept anything that we’ve thrown at them. Its a sad time to be a Japanese TT enjoyer.

Best part is the sources everyone here submitted is about as comprehensive as they get (short of getting actual classified documents) so the only thing they can do at this point is:

• Implement the missile with stats based those available sources (which they don’t think is adequate enough)
  • Just make up their own numbers based on undisclosed Gaijin™ speculation and algorithms

Knowing their track record, they’ll probably implement something fictitious in the name of bALaNse, and then refuse to touch it forever once it hits the live server.

1 Like

Sometimes you do have to wonder if the tin-foil theory of it being some elaborate way to get people to leak secret documents is real lol.

It’s just weird that they’ve been tweaking the other ARH missiles but have done absolutely nothing with the AAM-4. Either they’re cooking something or they think it’s fine as is.

1 Like

Their way of getting sources is inherently flawed for modern vehicles anyways, since it basically boils down to this:
Untitled

It’s honestly tiresome

8 Likes

Yea, it’s only going to get worse as time goes on.

2 Likes