A discussion about Tungsten Cored Ammunition (APCR/HVAP, and APDS)

In this video, his example of 3,7 cm Pzgr. 40 core is 151,5 g

1 Like

The 15mm x 58mm Core is 135gm±4. with a 0.1mm diameter tolerance. So there could be some variability. The 37mm APCR rounds the US captured were 57.4 mm - 58mm long, and 15mm - 15.6mm diameter.

1 Like

Good news all: I calculated the penetration of both extremes, a 15mm - 135g core and a 16mm dia 155g core and the penetration differs between them by only 1 mm.

Apparently if all the extra mass is concentrated on the sides of the projectile, its extra kinetic energy is compensated by the fact that it needs to make a bigger hole through the armour.

Edit: Btw, my bad, previously I took the diameter value for the 37mm APCR from the soviet document from my memory, but the actual document gives the diameters of the 37mm and 50mm german APCR as 16mm and 20mm respectively.

I have a theory: prehaps, the early 37mm cores had 16mm dia, but as I have just shown, reducing it to 15mm does not markedly decrease its penetration. Perhaps at some point the cores were slimmed down a bit to conserve tungsten?

1 Like

He says that he had seen two types of tungsten cores inside the 28/20mm german subcaliber projectiles: one that is smaller in diameter than the one in the 20mm APCR and one of the same size. He speculates that the smaller one is early war model and the larger one is late war (idk on what grounds he does this, as he doesnt present any evidence about this)

Spoiler

1 Like

idk, but i think the video is neat, as it shows also the real deal.

He shows a German book which states that the entire tungsten supply of the Wehrmacht was turned into 20/28 cores, when the weapon was introduced, to prevent it from being used for different applications.

So they probably had an excess supply of 20/28 cores that were used for the 20mm Pzgr. 40 until they switched production to the heavier 12mm cores.

But in game L28 easyly pen mbt-70. And even Ogival shell.
Now I understand why tanks were made with spaced armor. In life they stopped tungsten carbide sabot projectiles, but in the game they do not protect anything.
It’s fail, gaijin.

The MBT-70’s hull armor is spaced but it’s not enough to stop L28 tungsten carbide cored APDS. It performs worse than L52 which is tungsten heavy alloy, but still goes through.

The same applies to the game.

1 Like

Unfortunately, in the game, a tungsten corbide projectile penetrates half of the hull of the same MBT-70. Punching through, among other things, the fuel tank and the internal partition. This clearly does not correspond to what is shown in the simulation and is minimally different from the damage in the game that we can get using tungsten alloy projectiles.

Spoiler

Estimated performance of the 75mm T45 HVAP:

100m: 186/133mm at 0/30° respectively
500m: 160/109mm
1000m: 126/86mm

Edit: Updated.

1 Like

But thats not out of the M3 right?

As far as I know 75 mm T45 HVAP wasn’t fired from any other cannon.

1 Like

How exactly would it reach such performance? What about the 7,5 cm Pzgr. 40 at 919m/s then? And at 930 and 990?

Do you have any stats on the Pzgr.40 round for the KwK 40?

Edit: I’ve found stats on the overall weight (4.1 kg), core diameter (28 mm) and core length (111 mm), but haven’t found the core weight.

A combination of factors.
First, when already high velocity guns fire a light projectile at an even higher velocity, their efficiency drops, and the muzzle energy decreases. Compare the german 5cm gun firing AP vs firing APCR.

So, logically, we should expect a medium velocity gun, like the M3, to loose less muzzle energy firing this projectile.

Right? Well, in this case the muzzle energy in not only preserved, but actually increased, against common sense.

My theory is, as I know from Hunnicuts books, that this gun had a significant reserve of integrity, compared to many high velocity anti tank guns. So I suspects that this HVAP round was loaded with more propellant than the AP round, and was fired at higher max pressure, at some expense of barrel life.

Secondly, as is usually the case with Ww2 US tungsten projectiles, it had an obscenely heavy core, same 4lb. as the M93 HVAP, almost twice as heavy in fact as that of the German 75mm APCR.

And finally, since for supersonic projectiles the drag force increases with the equare of velocity, beign fired at lower m.v. helps it retain its energy at longer ranger than most HVAP shells.

1 Like

4,1 kg 28x111mm 900g core

Ok so right off the bat T45 has a core that’s twice as heavy.

Because the people from the US apparently didn’t really care about conserving their tungsten.

1 Like

estimated penetration of the 7.5cm Pzgr.40, fired at 930m/s:

100m: 181/129mm
500m: 156/107mm
1000m: 123/85mm

Funny, very close to the figures for the T45 HVAP.

Estimated performance of the 75mm T45 HVAP:
100m: 186/133mm at 0/30° respectively
500m: 160/109mm
1000m: 126/86mm

2 Likes

And at 990m/s? (As from L/46 and L/48)

Here you go:

7.5cm Pzgr.40 at 990m/s

Hardness profile used to compute this

1 Like