• United Korea tech tree
  • Other
  • I said no
0 voters

8x8 ATGM APC

Flag-North-Korea

Unknown official name

Brief History
North Korea has a surprisingly long history of tank and AFV production, with some of their most recent developments being very interesting. During the Korean War, and for a couple decades after, North Korea relied on Soviet hand-me-downs, namely T-34s and their derivatives, T-55s, etc. However, in the 70s, the DPRK started development of their first MBTs based on their copy of the T-62 (Ch’ŏnma), which have continually been upgraded to this day.

They haven’t just built MBTs, however. They have a number of other AFVs, such as SPGs and tank destroyers (conventional and ATGMs), which this vehicle is. This vehicle, as far as I’ve found, has no official name (not been released anyway), so 8x8 ATGM APC will have to do.

The vehicle is a derivative of North Korea’s 8x8 APC, which is thought to be (highly) inspired by their Soviet BTR-80s, although some features may have been taken from their older BTR-60PBs. This vehicle has been called M-2010 and Chunma-D in a few sources, although this is almost certainly not the official name. The ATGM variant of this APC was first spotted in 2020, during a parade celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Worker’s Party of Korea.

Characteristics
The ATGM variant of this APC mounts a new turret carrying 5 ATGM launchers. These are the Bulsae-5 ATGMs, the North Korean name for the Russian 9M133 Kornet. I’m unaware specifically of what variant it is, but regardless, it is definitely a tandem HEAT warhead with at least 1000-1200mm penetration (in-game the BMP-2M has the base variant of this ATGM, with 1200mm penetration). The vehicle has no secondary armament.

This specific variant of the APC appears to have bolt-on add-on armour across the whole vehicle, likely providing a decent level of protection against HMGs, although to what extent is unknown. The vehicle also has some smoke grenades on the front hull, as well as what I think are Laser Warning Receivers on either side of the turret.

Otherwise, nothing else is known of the vehicle. But we have seen it firing, so we know it does at least work.

Specifications
Armament

• Bulsae-5 (9M133 Kornet)
    • 1000-1200mm penetration
    • Tandem HEAT, SACLOS
    • Possibly fire-on-move capabilities, like the BMP-2M
  • 5x ATGMs in turret, likely at least 5x more in the hull
  • NVDs/thermals
    • 1PN79M-3 sight (or domestic equivalent/copy);

Armour

• Hull
    • Front
      • Unknown, likely similar to BTR-80A (12mm) + extra unknown thickness
    • Sides
      • Unknown, likely similar to BTR-80A (8mm) + extra unknown thickness
    • Rear
      • Unknown, likely similar to BTR-80A (6mm) + extra unknown thickness
  • Turret
    • Front
      • Unknown
    • Sides
      • Unknown
    • Rear
      • Unknown

Mobility

• Speed
    • ~ +90/-14km/h
  • Weight
    • Unknown, likely similar to BTR-80A (14.6t) + extra weight of add-on armour
  • Engine power
    • 260hp

Other

• Smoke grenades
  • 2x Laser Warning Receivers

Images

Spoiler

rgm8kk

Ej9znA4WAAA9s0q
vlcsnap-00121
vlcsnap-00127
north-korea-8x8-atgm-carrier

Sources

Spoiler

North Korean M-2012 8x8 APC derived from BTR-80
North Korea Showed Off New Missiles, Armor, Weapons in October Parade
North Korean parade equipment counters conventional wisdom
https://frontierindia.com/bad-news-for-k2-black-panther-north-koreas-new-bulsae-5-anti-tank-missile-can-easily-defeat-its-armour/
https://bemil.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2022/02/17/2022021701906.html

3 Likes

What a weird little guy. +1

2 Likes

Would be a great addition to a united Korean tree

1 Like

We need more info about it so i have to say no for the momento

Sight information:

Probably still the same as the regular Kornet, which also implies a thermal imager.
This site still claims the Bulsae-5 is a copy of the Konkurs, but most other sources say otherwise, so I’m sticking with it being a Kornet copy.

1 Like

Found pictures of the vehicle up close. No view of the turret and missiles unfortunately, but good view of the add-on armour that might be good enough to estimate the thickness.

0Q2Zks3JD5Jlelx6jd0NnMJaG_7PTLUEskCDbLUbcB1av_RF7i6sWhiRXeqZeHGCiAUtHIOM0m8lsfaodTOJZ6rXnoAOBKLQMFdpN3aVZk_oeooKR7kDn2I3VpMMedTgZEhKPI-tltLuEtxGr-tNuw
eEsol8wN3PVOEuDhzClHfkLUgXjmJRaOh0l3pPhYOdsBXYLLRrxfmBRIW7S0p8UlT60hMQlmSfeSadxnfnqtZlTA8IrBVGQTuqjv1FBqaV0UJyIjGGs4Mdm2c8G_6zb6oukQZLC3IIEbneflCoIK-Q

1 Like

This one looks fun, hoping it can be added in the future, looking forward to more vehicles from Korea

1 Like

United Korea tree all the way 🤙 China has ROC and Pakistan already.

1 Like