• United Korea tree
  • Other
  • I said no
0 voters

323 ATGM Carrier

Flag-North-Korea

Unknown official name

Brief History
North Korea has a surprisingly long history of tank and AFV production, with some of their most recent developments being very interesting. During the Korean War, and for a couple decades after, North Korea relied on Soviet hand-me-downs, namely T-34s and their derivatives, T-55s, etc. In the 70s, the DPRK started development of their first MBTs based on their copy of the T-62 (Ch’ŏnma), which have continually been upgraded to this day. They haven’t just built MBTs, however. They have a number of other AFVs, such as SPGs and tank destroyers.

Alongside these vehicles, North Korea has developed a number of APCs. In 1973, the 323 was spotted for the first time (sometimes incorrectly referred to as VTT-323 in the west). The 323 is a derivative of the Chinese YW 531A, which the DPRK bought and operated, with the biggest changes being the addition of a turret, one extra roadhweel, and amphibious capabilities. This suggestion focuses on the ATGM carrier variant of the 323.

This vehicle is sometimes referred to as Type 85, Susong-Po, or M1992, but I can’t find any good sources that use any of these names. M1992 might be a mistake, confusing it with the actual M1992 APC (a 4x4 wheeled vehicle), and Susong-Po is the name sometimes given to North Korean 9M14 Malyutka’s. Type 85 likely comes from confusion between this vehicle and the Chinese upgrade of the YW 531A which also added an extra roadwheel.

For this reason, I refer to it simply as 323 ATGM Carrier, although 323 (9M14) would also work just as well.

Characteristics
The 323 ATGM carrier removes the turret added onto the North Korean 323 APC variant and replaces it with 4x Soviet 9M14 Malyutka launchers. The 9M14 was imported from the Soviet Union, and is (probably) called Bulsae-1 in North Korean service. The 9M14 is a MCLOS ATGM that can penetrate 400mm of armour. It’s already in game on the BMP-1, but is quickly replaced by the SACLOS 9M113 with more penetration. As a standalone ATGM, the 9M14 performs a bit like the ones on the Zachlam Tager and Type 60 ATM. The vehicle presumably has an extra 4x missiles located inside.

This variant also has a 14.5mm KPV as its secondary armament, which would provide some nice supplementary firepower against lightly armoured targets in game.

The 323’s engine is believed to be the same as that on the Chinese YW 531 – 320hp. The US estimated the top speed of the 323 at 80km/h, but it is much more likely to be around 65km/h.

Armour is probably very similar (if not identical) to the YW 531, being ~14mm all around.

The 323 has a crew of 4 – commander, driver, gunner, and machine gunner

Conclusion
This vehicle would be a fun mid-tier ATGM carrier for a North Korean sub-tree. It would play a similar role to the Zachlam Tager and/or the Type 60 ATM, and so I suggest it goes at 6.7.

Specifications
Armament

• 4x Bulsae-1 ATGM (9M14 Malyutka)
    • 400mm penetration
    • MCLOS
  • 1x 14.5mm KPV

Armour

• Hull
    • Front
      • 14mm
    • Sides
      • 14mm
    • Rear
      • 14mm
  • Turret
    • N/A

Mobility

• Speed
    • ~65km/h
    • 10km/h in water
  • Weight
    • ~12.6-15.3t (estimated)
  • Engine power
    • 320hp

Images

Spoiler

D-KCAC9UcAASPZT

VTT-323_Susong_Po_AT3-Sagger-ATGM

• Illustration from Tanks Encylopedia

Sources

Spoiler

323 APC - Tank Encyclopedia
The Armed Forces of North Korea: On the Path of Songun – Stijn Mitzer and Joost Oliemans
VTT-323 - 나무위키
323 APC