15 cm s.I.G. 33/2 (Sfl.) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t)

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I would like to suggest the 15 cm s.I.G. 33/2 (Sfl.) auf Jagdpanzer 38(t). It would be one of the more heavily armored vehicles in the line of the Sturmpanzer (in game, IRL it wasnt part of the Sturmpanzer series) such as the s.I.G. 33B on Pz.Sfl. II, StuiG 33B and Sturmpanzer IV. While the top part isnt as well protected as the hull, it will still have relatively good protection against smaller arms and bad placed quick shots as well as under ranged shots, that land on the hull.

It is basically a Jagdpanzer 38(t) hull (or if in game based on the prototype on Bergepanzer 38(t) chassis with only 30mm frontal armor) armed with the 15 cm s.I.G. 33 which can allready be found in game.

Its history is more of a need for vehicles than a dedicated request, the german army was allways in the need of more vehicles than they could produce in their own factories, as such modification of captured and other chassis was another way to go. Such as in this case, as hull production was higher than the gun production dedicated for the vehicle, the cassis was available in higher numbers and could be used in other rolles as well. These included as Bergepanzer 38(t) (Recovery), Flammpanzer, Aufklärungspanzer with 7,5 cm K.51 L/24 and this with 15 cm gun of which 1 Prototype on a Bergepanzer and 30 production on Jagdpanzer 38(t) hulls were build. Troops on the eastern front Always needed more heavy close support and the 15 cm Guns were still in stock so such a rather simple modification came in handy.

The constuction involved placing a new open top superstructure with the gun on top of the hull which, while at a slightly less angle followed the hull walls path, with the front beeing covered like on the Grille.

Pictures: (Click to show)

The Gun:
15 cm s.I.G. 33/2 (Sfl.)
-5° to +40° elevation, +/- 6°-8° traverse Unknown ammo storage.
Ammo: 3 Rounds (in game the smoke round is missing)
I.Gr. 38 HE 38 kg 8,6 kg Amatol 61mm pen 240m/s

I.Gr. 39 Hl/A HEAT 24,58 kg 5,32 kg (aquivalent) and 231/200/116mm at 0/30/60° and 280m/s (in game penetration is wrong, its for the s.F.H. 18 with 465m/s = more spin = less pen of Heat rounds)

The Vehicle:
Jagdpanzer 38(t) hull

Armour Front (Slope angle) Sides Rear Roof
Hull 60 mm (40-60°), 60 mm (60°) Front glacis
60 mm (40°) Transmission housing 20 mm (15°) Bottom 8 mm (68°) Top
20 mm (14°) Bottom 8 mm (90°)
Superstructure 20-30mm (50°) 20mm

Top Speed: 42 km/h / 7 km/h
Weight: 15,75 ton
Crew: 4
Engine: 160 Ps/2800 Rpm

Source:
Geschossringbuch I
German Self propelled Artillery Guns of the Second World war
15 cm s.I.G. - Schweres Infanteriegeschütz 33

5 Likes

+1 You are a pillar of the community man! no cap

3 Likes

It would be fun little vehicle and i hope to see Bishop in game too +1

1 Like

+1, Gaijin could add a lot of the vehicles with the 15cm s.I.G , ie, the StuIG 33B, this vehicle, Grille H or K, Sturmpanzer 1 bison. I think they are just not bothered.

1 Like

Derp gun on a small hull! +1

1 Like

Very ugly. +1

2 Likes

+1