105 mm Self Propelled Gun, Priest

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
                         105 mm Self Propelled Gun, Priest

Design and Service History:

The 105 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M7 was a self-propelled gun based on the M3 Lee/ M4 Sherman chassis, produced by America during the second world war. It was provided through lend-lease to the British, where it served under the name 105 mm Self Propelled Gun, Priest, with the name coming from the pulpit-like machine gun ring present on the vehicle, along with keeping in line with the naming conventions of British SPG of the time, which was based on members of the church, like Bishop and Decon.

The M7’s development began in the early stages of World War II, when US army observers realized they would need a self-propelled artillery vehicle, with powerful firepower in order to support armoured operations. Lessons would be learned through the use of Halftracks such as the T19 howitzer, which indicated the ideal vehicle would have to be both fully tracked and armoured. This would lead to a vehicle based on the M3 Lee chassis named the T32, which possessed an open-topped superstructure and mounted the M2A1 105 mm howitzer, complimented by an M2 .50 cal machine gun which was added after trials.

The T32 pilot was deemed sufficient for the Army’s needs and was accepted for service as the M7 in February 1942, which production beginning in April of that year. This SPG instantly attracted the interest of the British Tank Mission and they requested 2,500 to be delivered by the end of 1942, followed by a further 3,000 by the end of 1943, though this order would never be fully completed as the more desirable Sexton SPG became readily available. As production continued the M3 lee chassis was replaced by that of an M4 Sherman, and both variants would be provided to the British through lend-lease, before production concluded with a total off 3,489 M7s being produced.

The British would find the M7 to be a reliable weapon, and it would go on to see major front-line service, even if logistical problems regarding ammunition stopped it being whole heartedly adopted, and eventually discarded in favour of the competing Sexton design. Despite this the Priest would see service on numerous fronts, starting during the North African campaign, where 90 Priests were received by the British Eighth Army, where they would play a pivotal role during the Second Battle of El Alamein, alongside Bishop SPGs. Here the supply issues presented themselves, but the M7 would continue to serve with the British through North Africa and into Italy, where they were slowly supplemented by the more logistically friendly Sexton.

The Priest would also serve in North-West Europe, and British examples would take part in the fighting that followed the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Artillery regiments of the British 3rd and 50th divisions were equipped with the M7, though due to logistical reasons, they were replaced by towed 25-pounder guns in early August. The Priest would also see service during the Burma campaign, where it served in a significant role during the Battle of Meiktila and the advance on Rangoon (1945) during Operation Dracula.

Vehicle specification:

Mass 50,640 lb (22.97 metric tons)

Length 19 ft 9 in (6.02 m)

Width 9 ft 5 in (2.87 m) with sand shields

Height 8 ft 4 in (2.54 m), 9 ft 8 in (2.95 m) over AA machine gun

Crew 8

Armor 12–62 mm

Main armament 105 mm M1/M2 Howitzer (69 rounds)

Secondary armament 1 × 0.5 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine gun (300 rounds)

Engine Continental R-975 C1 (400 Hp, 298kw)

Suspension Vertical volute spring

Operational range 120 mi (193 km)

Maximum speed 24 mph (39 km/h)

Additional historical photos:

M7 Priest passes by a Humber Scout Car as it moves into position to support an attack on Caen, 8 July 1944:

Priest of 3rd Infantry Division in UK, 1944:

THE BRITISH ARMY IN ITALY 1944; A Priest 105mm self-propelled gun in action at Anzio:

other photos:

Sources:

2 Likes

This should go to the US not the UK

2 Likes

Why not both, that was always an option as we both operated it as you can see quite clearly in the photos affixed. You might not like it but lend-lease vehicles formed a large part of the core of British armour regiments during the second world war.

7 Likes

I’m aware, it would just make for more unique vehicles to have the Sexton for Britain and the Priest for the US. And because we have the Sexton being a more uniquely british vehicle for the exact same role I think the priest would be unnecessary copy paste.

2 Likes

They would play quite differently soley due to the fact the priest has a heat round compared to the medicore performance that would be the sextons 25 pounder which is armed with a sub-par hesh round and an ap round. They though looking similar would not be copy pastes and honestly there would likely be a 1.0 or larger br gap between them.

25 pounder hesh penetrates around 80mm of armour at all ranges, the priests heat round the m67 penetrates 140mm of armour at all ranges, though i have seen claims of up to 7 inches of pen on flat plate. That is 179mm over double the pen of the sextons best round.

4 Likes

Well yeah obviously the Priest and Sexton are fairly different. My point was why have a priest in both the US and UK tree.

1 Like

Because both operated it in good numbers, and it is different enough from the other brit SPG’s to justify its addition.

2 Likes

I would love to see it in-game toghether with it’s improved M37 Self-Propelled-Howitzer, but either in the US tech tree (and the Brits to receive the Sexton) or in both trees.

1 Like

+1 Sure, but if the British get the Priest, then the Americans should get the T51 HMC, which, fun fact, literally destroyed itself during its first live-fire tests.

Spoiler

2 Likes

It broke the gun mounting because it was improperly secured in a welded gun cradle. The t51 is a bit of a mirky one to suggest though, as it was made at the express request of the British and then proceeded to be titted up so badly that the Canadians managed to produce something first. The t51 would honestly be kind of worse then the Sexton due to how the gun was mounted, so you wouldn’t be able to do staggered fire with a loader either side, so your looking at 3 or 4 rounds a min in ideal conditions, when the sexton could achieve 8.

The thing is the Americans have a long list of SPG’s to chose from from the WW2 era and beyond, including somemonsterous ones like the M12

t30

m40

and m43

so they are in no way gagging for SPG’s, unlike the British where i can literally list them here:

Sexton
75mm sp auto car
bishop
priest
crusader 5.5 inch
Abbott
m109a3
as90

1 Like

If the americans were to get a priest i would prefer them to get the M7B2, which was their korean war modification to them. This SPG increased teh 35 degrees of elevation to 65 degrees, and also improved the gun mounting for the 50 call so it could fire 360 degrees around the vehicle. This vehicle was also based on the m4a3 easy 8 sherman, so its handling would also be much better

The british on the other hand only operated the normal M7 which lacked all of these features and was markedly inferior in comparison as it was based on the normal M4, though would still be better than the sexton in all regards.

2 Likes

Sure the Americans don’t need it and their actual serviced HMCs should come long before it but that doesn’t change the fact it’s still cool af and would be a funny throwaway premium for some one-off event. The shittiness of the T51 would essentially lower its BR and makes its playstyle not identical to the Sextons, which is honestly enough. I don’t want the T51 because I think it would be good or provide something that can’t be found elsewhere. I want the T51 purely because its the T51. Also, in regards to its murkiness as a suggestion. In my opinion, I think being built by Americans on an American chassis and then tested by Americans is enough for it to be given to the Americans, regardless of who it was built for. Especially if the country that asked for it didn’t want it because the Americans messed it up.

1 Like

Regardless the t-51 should be lowest priority as there are about a dozen american spgs i would like to see before it be added ;)

1 Like

Agreed.

You are missing a few so I will list them:
Birch gun:

Spoiler

FV3805, the Centurion with a 5.5 inch gun (The 5.5 inch had HESH too):

Spoiler

FV3802, like the FV3805 but with a 25pr gun instead:

Spoiler

Cardinal AKA M40 155mm self propelled gun:

Spoiler

M44 155mm self propelled gun:

Spoiler

Base model M109s:

Spoiler

M107 8 Inch self propelled gun:

Spoiler

M110 8 Inch self propelled gun:

Spoiler

SP70

Spoiler

AS-90s GBT155 turret was also mounted on Challenger 1 and Vickers Mk 1:

Spoiler

BAE Archer (this is currently in service apparently):

Spoiler

There’s the BAE Portee M777 and two types of Supacat HMT with 105mm light guns but I don’t think they’d actually be able to depress their guns to shoot anything really in game unless you found yourself on a proper reverse slope.

Also, FV304 and FV305 (not built but I thought they were cool enough to mention):
Intended to be 25pr and 5.5 Inch artillery off the light FV300 series (image is FV303 the 20pr version mock-up)

Spoiler

3 Likes

I am actually drafting a suggestion for the birch gun XD

but all in all most of those listed are either poor vehicles for addition to the game like the 3802 and 3805, or just not particularly interesting like the wall of american ones, where something like the Abbot is much more interesting. When i eventually get around to suggesting the gbt deriviatives the vickers mk III version is easily the best for addition due to the mobility.

Well Challenger 1 is faster than Vickers.
Also Priest would be nice as a compliment/upgrade to Sexton in game but if Priest why not one of the heavy artillery vehicles, I’d like to lob 8 inch shells at someone for a laugh. Of course the American tree would need them also but that should go without saying.

The biggest issue with the gbt that no one mentions though is that is not an armoured turret XD

its often reported as armour but its just boiler plate, soft mild steel, which is one of the reasons i would just prefer to get the AS -90, as it is basically the same thing where you wount get penned by 50 cals from the front

1 Like

Lol, I have a small draft, mainly on some ammo it might’ve used, on the Birch gun as well. How far have you gotten on it?

1 Like

basically finished, i was going to post it tomorrow. The big issue with the birch gun is ammunition for it, as it only saw service from 1928-31 and the good shells for the cannon came in the mid 30s when they changed the explosive charge for the shells to boost muzzle velocity . I know there is an APHE shell but i have found very little documentation for it, as it looked like it was developed but not deployed.