Why is the M1A2 SEP V2 considered the worst tank among the top three major countries?

All tanks weakspots are the same, side, back, turret-ring, hatches.
the main difference is the ammunition storage, the T-serries has it stored in center making it easy to hit from every angle while the others (west’s tanks) usually store it in the front of hull och in a separate compartment in the turret. so if hit from the side there is no ammo detonation but you still hurt the crew, less spalling because of liners so less risk of deadly injuries. if you hit the back its engine and crew but still no ammo detonation. Front is extremely hard to penetrate so again very little risk of ammo detonation. if the turret ammo detonates it just blows the hatch open at the top and the tank still functions without issues and the ammo at the front can still be used to loas and fire but a lot slower.
The biggest issue for wests tank are drones and top down missiles.

But it would not shatter as you said, the articles merely suggested that it will ricochet but for an APFSDS to shatter is unrealistic.

Not like anyone but russia has correct armour lol. ZTZ-99A armour has been stealth nerfed twice now in the year I’ve played the game, base armour went from 120 to 100, and now it is 50, so the DM53s can simply just pen if I don’t have ERA.

1 Like

We have seen an ABRAMS turret flying high into the sky before, it does happen, it is more of a mutually assured thing that if you are hit, you probably are abandoning the vehicle, since the optics are probably disabled. The Abrams has been destroyed and blew up by a T-72B3 at 2400m with a 9m119m1 INVARD. So I think it is just a game of who gets detected first, since even non penetration will lead to sever damage to optics, which means you are much less likely to be able to fire back.

1 Like

i mean, if you have enough explosives anything can fly. they just don’t fly from ammo detonation alone.
if you think you’ve seen that then i’m interested in a source.

when? where? source? (not saying it didn’t happen, i actually am curious as the B3 model came 2010 so it has to be recent and thus most likely Ukraine and a M1A1 model from 1985)

1 Like

Bet you think the world is flat too.

1 Like

It would either shatter or get crushed into ineffectual pieces, which would just be sent into the underside of the turret (not the turret ring).

1 Like

There is a video of an abrams being destroyed and we can see an atgm flying towards it. The russians claimed that it was a t72b3, IDK but I’ll assume it is since the missile is quite fast.

Sorry about the confusion, the ABRAMS turret did not fly, I was referring to a UAE Abrams destroyed.

That is quite literally impossible for an ATGM to do to the M1. You’ll have to resort to an oversize IED buried beneath a track to even shift the M1 turret off its ring, or use a crane.

So where’s the video of the UAE abrams getting knocked out, then? I’m really curious, because the UAE hasn’t actually released anything on purchasing any M1 tanks, ever.

1 Like

5 hits it took to take it down…verified by the Russian showing it off. He praised its ttoughness.

Russian armor is most likely over performing too……

You mean where the Abrams was already knocked out and they then hit it with an ATGM and tried to claim “a T72 knocked out an abrams guys”

wdym APFSDS can shatter irl. There are case where M1A1 Abrams got hit by friendy fire in Gulf War . with either M829 or M829A1 . APFSDS first hit mounting bracket for the minesweeper plow before it hit and shatter on UFP.

source
https://gulflink.health.mil/du_ii/du_ii_tabh.htm
https://gulflink.health.mil/du_ii/du_ii_refs/n52en369/7161_039_0000007.htmhttps://gulflink.health.mil/du_ii/du_ii_refs/n52en369/7161_039_0000007.htm

what was described

Another example
Here video of APFSDS live test fire that shatter on K2 Black Panther UFP

Based on various post the circled ‘2’ section is a piece of dart that is flying off from the impact.

As a Russian main, the issues when I play Abrams is the tank is TOO FUCKING BIG, you can’t hide for shit, and then the turbine idling noise is way too loud too, which totally destroy stealth, while USSR vehicles is dead quiet, and they are just small as fuck that its easy to overlook something this small, when I play T-72s I can tell you 70% of my total kills is stealth kill, with Abrams? enemies always aware of my presence.

That’s the annoying thing too, the Abrams engine should be among the quieter engines in the game. The whining noise of the Abrams engine from (what I’ve read and been told by people who have had the opportunity to work around the Abrams and other tanks say) doesn’t travel as far as a large diesel engine. (This theoretically should also be the case for other Gas Turbibe engines on tanks).

2 Likes

That another problem Gaijin has to fix.
To summarize It is loud up close (especially directly behind engine compartment) but the high pitch means it is harder to hear from a distance. As the higher pitch of the gas turbine also means that the sound doesn’t travel as far.

So the area at around 50m+ away from Abrams that isn’t directly behind engine compartment should be quieter than diesel engine.

Funny bit about this too was that a bit ago sabots were more likely to shatter at high angles and the M1 UFP suddenly became really good.

Was patched shortly after sadly.

Dunno why gaijin is so keen on having APFSDS bounce since, as you have already described, at really high angles such rounds should be breaking apart, not bouncing off the plate.

1 Like

It shouldn’t be that way, i’m having trouble hearing t80s which they’re super close to me but i cannot hear shit, untill he shoot me from the back and i see that he’s literally next to me but i don’t hear his engine, somehow the roles got changed, the russian engine should be hearable from quite a big distance, while the Abrams engine should be unhearable.

1 Like

no, it doesnt russian armor has been over performing for years, tech mods even said this on the old forum.

so im not the only one? i had a t80 20 meters from me and heard nothing as it shot me.

1 Like