Picture this: I have a clear view of my target, the radar mode is MTI and the subject isn’t multipathing. I launch an R24R from my mig23MLD and it gets one-chaffed.
I try it now on high altitude and top down launches and it gets one chaffed as well. Or spoofed a la americain by simply changing direction. Yet when I am facing a MiG23 ML the missile always hits, the lock remains and the chaff doesn’t seem to work after turning to the opposite direction to trick the innertial guidance, not even multipathing. And yet when I am facing a MiG23 MLD or MLA I can simply chaff and fly above the horizon to completely deter their r24r’s.
Is this some sort of feature or what? I also noticed a pattern like this happen to export variants of missiles having slightly better track rate than main standard variants like how r60mk’s are better at hopping through flares with a radar enslavement than r60m’s.
The Flogger is VERY FAST and has a very nasty SAHR missile for it’s BR. It is especially potent when you are going at Mach Stupid and higher up - giving that missile a real edge so long as you are fast. It makes sense to use that speed to joust anyone out of the sky early on (your R-24s are your main weapon after all).
If you want to be cautious or careful - don’t get a MiG-23. The girls doing base-bombing are that way (waves at the Tornado GR1 drivers and runs for cover).