Why both Strike Eagles use old LANTRIN targeting pod with Gen 1 thermal?

When they are upgraded models with modern bombs?
Should they not as minimum have Litening 2s?
Am I missing something?

6 Likes

Yeah they both have GBU-39s yet somehow are using 1990 eras TGPs.

Both should be rocking Sniper ATP pods.

7 Likes

Even worse, we have JHMCS, so 2010+ at least in case of the F-15E.

6 Likes

True to that as well.

1 Like

Im fine if they dont want to give it sniper pods yet. Just give it Litening 2’s

I might hope gajin implemented AN/AAQ-33 Sniper XR targeting pod instead LANTIRN AN/AAQ-14 targeting pod in dev server

In my opinion, in dev server would be F-15E late production, equipment mix 1999 ~ 2010 but change target designator pod only

For me, might be F-15E upgraded version (Radar Modernization Program) after F-15E at rank 9 or 10, but without AIM-9L Sidewinder and semi-active radar homing missile AIM-7 Sparrow

AN/APG-82(V)1 radar, JHMCS, IR AIM-9M-8 & AIM-9X, AIM-120C-7 & AIM-120D, GBU-54/B Laser JDAM, GBU-53/B (SDB II) StormBreaker and AGM-158B JASSM-ER

But retain Pratt & Whitney F100-PW-229 engines, Lockheed Martin AN/AAQ-33 Sniper XR advanced targeting pod, LANTIRN AN/AAQ-13 navigation pod GBU-31(V)1/B & GBU-38(V)1/B JDAM and GBU-38/B SDB I

At present, I guess might be F-15I Ra’am equipped Rafael Litening III targeting pod

So apparently Lantirn on the F-15Es have gen 2 thermals, similarly to the F-16AM.

Maybe this is to simulate better MFD resolutions, but I don’t think Lanirn would normally qualify for anything but gen 1 thermals, not something a better MFD can fix.

But anyway, this would make the need for Litening or Sniper less pressing, though I’d still like the option to be able to equip multiple TGP types at least (like DCS). But since I’ve seen how TGP resolutions and zoom levels are implemented in the files, currently it might not be possible to do that.