Vympel R-73 'ARCHER' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Is it from same dock or after wall fall?
IMG_2482

1 Like

Well before the fall, the document covers that those are estimates, the Tornado GR.1 TM is from 1993.

People acting like Cold War / Post Cold War powers divulged all their secrets in how they acquired adversary technology.

2 Likes

The data on R-27 is not correct at all

1 Like

Where do you get it should be better from

It can you flare then pull to get out of its seeker fov

That’s from the Tornado F.3 TM hence the wild over estimation;

Tornado GR.1 doc is 1993 (with the AA-11 info)

2 Likes

k_stephanovich said this on forum that r73 has better irccm than aim9m.
You know, it’s hard to avoid aim9m by flying a brick such as mig29smt at high speed. The turns themselves take a long time and my pilot falls asleep while doing it

2 Likes

Because them being true would mean that people playing a videogame 20+ years later and assuming russian technological supremacy would be wrong, and that’s unacceptable.

And the ADDIS trial which tested non NATO missiles is from 1992;

Would’ve been a sidegrade atleast, if they modelled it realistically

2 Likes

Don’t missiles also track center mass, instead of the highest heat source in game? No wonder r73 picks up flares all the time, and likely aim9m tracks better after ignoring flares

@Gunjob sidenote but I just noticed this document Fantom posted states the SPO-15 in-game should not be able to pickup launch guidance of the Skyflash.

Spoiler

10.1-10.2GHz guidance frequency is above the 10.0 GHz limit of the SPO-15 in-game.

Which SPO-15 exactly?

Intentional, all RF has spill over its never a hard cap at 10Ghz neither will the emissions be.

SPO-15 limit irl is 10.3 GHz

Thats too bad.

Its a little odd some things are modeled without randomness while others like this are though

From a quick look on Wikipedia (I know it’s not the best source):

When East and West Germany unified, no MiG-23s were transferred to the German Air Force, but twelve former East German MiG-23s were supplied to the United States.

It’s not unreasonable to think that the US also managed to get their hands on some R-24 missiles, either from Germany or elsewhere (the US went to great lengths to obtain Soviet weapons during the Cold War). It’s known that the trial in question was a joint effort between the UK, German, the USA.

1 Like

That statement is borderline irrelevant. We already went over the shortfalls of each type of flare rejection the missiles use in-game. The R-73’s flare resistance is technically better, but it doesn’t matter if people refuse to learn how to flare AIM-9M’s and keep getting slapped by them as a result.

1 Like

I would gladly swap irccm from aim-9m to r73 and vice versa.