Vympel R-27 'ALAMO' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

Very clear and nice explanation thank you

1 Like

Finally, this will help with missile testing so much

4 Likes

So, now with the ARH testing period this dev server, do you guys think we should get the ARH versions of the R-27 for the 12.0+ planes that can guide them?

No

Why not?

Because the active radar variants of the R-27 were vaporware that never saw operational service and likely never were even tested.

It was

They were heavily tested, and the R-27EA and 27EM lost to the R-77 in the end.
IMG_9945

pack it up r27 bros its over

That hasn’t stopped Gaijin before. the Me 262 A-1a/U4 has the Mk.214a 50mm, even though it was only ever tested with the BK 5 from the Me 410s.

Gaijin has a rough estimate for the stats such as the range, the Seeker specs, etc, they could totally add it. Especially seeing as the AIM-120A and R-77 aren’t really equals.

Thanks for this picture, it proves they were produced and tested at least.

1 Like

What is the point of that picture? It’s just Su-27M with R-27ER and RVV-AE, R-73 mockups. This plane was even built only after R-27A/EM were canceled. For R-27EM only some seeker heads were made, missile itself wasn’t even ever built. And R-27A and R-27EM never were a competitor to R-77, especialy SARH R-27EM, it just money shortage that didn’t let to make everything that was planned.

2 Likes

Not really used an R-77 will outshine it anyway.

Okay, there are plenty of cases of an aircraft having equipment that gets outshined by other equipment too.

I just don’t see the point tbh, I think R-77 and R-77-1 would be more capable and can be carried in greater quantities.

For certain aircraft such as the Yak-141, it only has 4 hardpoints anyways. Adding the 27EA/EM gives it an ARH option that isnt as good as the R-77 which could be carried on planes like the Su-27 and MiG-29.

Would you want a yak-141 at 13.0+

The 27EA/M would not put it at 13.0 lol. It would only be able to carry 2 at max, and they’d be just as easy to defeat as the SARH 27s. At most it would go to 12.3 so 11.0s dont have to face it.

EM is SARH and Yak-141 is supposed to carry only 2 R-27 (any variant) while being capable to carry 4 R-77

EM is listed on Wikipedia as ARH, but with a bit more range than the EA.