Vympel R-27 'ALAMO' - History, Design, Performance & Discussion

unfortunate

It deactivates the DNP(The illumination mode), not TWS(SNP). And once it deactivates DNP, its reset for the next missile. TWS is never used.

I’m looking now, but i’m pretty sure TWS in-game can update the guidance which is what i’m referring to

Its can’t irl nor ingame. On the 29 manual I put above, its states that the error is too big(±8km) and scan rate too slow to be usefull.

Okay I just confirmed that TWS doesn’t update in-game. I’m going to edit the post and add the replays to comments

never mind gunjob already aknowledged it

<3 best mod

R-27 guidance frequency is apparently 9.176 - 9.216 GHz in real life.

There is a source?

The 150 km/h figure likely comes from here.

“MPRF mode serves to attack targets from rear aspect. It allows detection, acquisition, and tracking of targets flying at speeds from V_{t\ rad}\geq 210 km/h " to 2200 km/h at altitude from H = 30 - 50 m to H = 23 km with the target being up to 10 km higher and 6 km lower than the fighter.
Tracking and acquisition of targets, flying with equal to the fighter speeds, near to equal speeds, and with the fighter lagging behind at V_t = V_f + 144 km/h at distances D>10 km, and also detection of targets at equal speeds V_{closure} \pm 16 m/s is not supported. …”

Here V_{t\ rad} is the radial velocity of the target, V_t and V_f are the target’s and fighter’s velocities, and V_{closure} is the closure speed between the two.

Spoiler

The 144 km/h is probably where the 150 km/h comes from.

Also note that the +144 km/h speed is given only for ranges higher than 10 km. This is mostly likely because within 10 km (don’t know if it is just for ACM, or MPRF in general), the tracking is supposed to have tighter notches (don’t quite remember where I saw it, but I think it was the pilots combat manual)

British Tornado manual.

Being foreign intelligence it’s not perfect, but the Tornado’s RWR is specifically capable of identifying an R-27 launch, so it’s a safe assumption that they know what the guidance signal looks like:

Screenshot_20240529-134029

2 Likes

Doesn’t the AN-APG-66 have a lower notch than IRL too?

The receiver can be guided on a rather broad frequency range but it’s listed in most sources as 10-20Ghz. That and other information is erroneous in that source.

In game its considered I-band for what its worth

This is a bad source

So how do you think the F.3 RWR was able to identity an R-27 launch without knowing the guidance frequencies?

RWR measures in a wide range

Yes it captures in a wide range but to ID specific systems it needs specific frequencies. Otherwise it would just alert for I-Band transmissions. But it doesn’t, it can specifically ID the weapon system.

I doubt it very much, given that the data given for P-27 in this source is absolutely not correct

The kinematics of it absolutely are guesses based on intelligence data. But the guidance frequencies are taken from readings of launches.

2 Likes

If that’s not the case then we can pretty much throw out threat ID for all RWR where in a country doesn’t operate the weapon system directly.

We need to look at the fact that an export missile was used there.Not the original one

1 Like