Vosper 70ft-class Motor Gun Boat, INS Yanshuf (T-211). 57mm speedster

Would you like to see this ship added to the game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

​Hello everyone! Today I’m suggesting a unique little boat Israel got their hands on at the beginning of 1950.

This is the Vosper 70ft-class Motor Gun Boat, INS Yanshuf (T-211)

Source: File:T211.png - Wikimedia Commons

History

Spoiler

The history of this boat, or any other small boat of the early Israeli navy are quite obscure and uneventfull. But I will try my best to put as much information as I can in here.

INS Yanshuf was bought of the British when they had put their boats out of service. Normally boats would be stripped of their guns by the time Israel bought them, but Yanshuf can be seen equiped with the British 57mm QF Mark IIA turret on the front of the ship.

It is unclear whether or not Israel really continued to operate the ship with the 57mm gun. But we have no other photos or sources to say otherwise so this is something I can’t prove yet. Either way, Israel did buy her with the gun so they did operate it atleast for a little bit.

As a Motor Gun Boat Yanshuf was, like said above, equiped with the British 57mm QF Mark IIA gun. Now ingame this gun is horribly underperfoming since small caliber HE rounds don’t do nearly as much damage as they should. But looking at the ship from an real life point of view, Yanshuf would have been a good little PT-boat killer. The 57mm was an excelent gun for use against other smaller boats.

Specifications

Spoiler

Displacement: 43 tons
Length: 70 feet (21,34 meters)
Breadth: 19 feet (5,79 meters)
Draught: 5 feet (1,52 meters)
Machinery: 3 x Packard Gasoline engines
Max speed: 40 knots (74 km/h)
Complement: 16

Armament:
1 x 1 57 mm QF Mark IIA

Well that is all for this little boat. Many more suggestions like these to come in the future!

See you on the battlefield!

Sources

Spoiler

Main source:
https://www.amutayam.org.il/?CategoryID=590&ArticleID=1036

Secondairy source:
https://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/שייטת_הטרפדות

Extra:
Category:INS T-211 - Wikimedia Commons

1 Like