VLT 2, a post war torpedo boat

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

VLT 2

A post war torpedo boat

Context :

During the occupation, the shipyards of Meulan received several patrol boats and plane rescue boats, all based on the French Picker company’s plans, most notably the VTB 15. When the country was liberated in 1944, 10 hulls were being built. 2 of them were the original VTB 15 and 16 serie ; the other 8 however, correspond to a serie of German boats called Räumboot, more specifically from the Type 301 serie. 4 of those hulls were abandonned (303, 304, 306, 308) but two others were converted to plane rescue ships (301 and 302) and became V 120 and V 121, while the last two (305, 307) were finished as Motor torpedo boats called VLT (for “vedette lance torpille”) VLT 1 and VLT 2.

History :

Slowly finished, those MTBs would know only a few months of armed status, most probably to evaluate the efficiency of this kind of ship, which were judged obsolete. Both VLT were equipped with Yak 1100HP engines and achieved satisfying results in 1947. However, the USSR wanted paiment for those engines. As the Navy refused, the engines were taken away, and replaced by German Jumo 211 engines. Armed in 1948, they were used for trials during which they showed astounding performances, but didn’t manage to convince the staff, and they were stripped of their weapons in summer 1949. The VLT 2 was dismanteled in 1951, while the VLT 1 would be used as a model for a serie of MTBs sold to the Israelian navy in 1952, before being dismanteled in 1958.

Specifications :

DIMENSIONS

Total length : 30, 65m

Total width : 5,92m

maximum displacement : 67,69t

ENGINE

type : 2 x 1200HP Jumo 211, 4 cycles, 6 cylinders V pattern.

propellers : 2

ARMAMENT :

Torpedoes : 2 x 550mm torpedoes

2 x 40mm Bofor canons

2 x 20mm Oerlikon canons

PLANS :

Spoiler

7bd92b6d-866d-487e-8e0a-ad8f56ce8704.jpg

a2a3ffc2-5854-4e09-af42-4bab9ae71b81.jpg

af49b42f-678b-4a6f-9b6c-f4bd69e6b9b0.jpg

WARNING : These are the Type 40K schematics. Although they do not have the same bridge, they share however the same hull.

PHOTOS :

VLT-2.jpg

MTBs recovered by the French after the liberation. The VLT 1 or 2 is the furthest in the back.

VLT-2-1.jpg

Photo of the VLT 2, with an emphasis on the AA weapons.

1k0.jpg

Photo of the French post-war use of one of the hulls similar to the VLT.

SOURCES :

Spoiler

Primary :

SHD Toulon :

série 2A1 and 2A4

Dossier 17S2 archives lehler

SHD Vincenne

Série TTC, TTD, TTY, 1BB2, 1BB8, DD1

SHD Cherbourg :

Dossier 2 A1, 2A5

SHD Centre des archives de Châtellerault (CAA):

Trial reports

Website : Schnellboot Prototype 40K my grandfather,Radioman Rudi Christ

4 Likes

Glad to see all these French coastal boats! +1

Is the top speed known ?

Unfortunately, it wasn’t mentioned in the book. Very little info on it actually. It shares the same hull as the type 40K and the engines were slightly more powerful than the original Lorraine of those types, so it would probably be somewhere around 45 to 50 knots.

New model in the files :

3 Likes

Yeah finally

Dev Server datamine says it’s a Pack vehicle, pay to play.

Still nothing about tech tree coastals which are long overdue.

Yeah well… What can we do. It’s Gaijin choice. I’m annoyed as well, but, at the very least, it’s in the game… I didn’t even count on Gaijin ever bothering themselves with a French coastal tree.

That said, I really hope the price will be reasonable… I’m not paying 40 bucks for that stuff.

Always tech tree CBT is one update later than pre-order CBT

I know it’s exactly the same as it’s precisely what they did with the Bluewater French, that doesn’t make it a good idea that should automatically be supported.

As to why they do it - $€¥¢£ - so many impatient players simply will drop cash for a ‘Must Have’ vehicle even though it’s not been tested and could be terrible. It’s not a phenomenon unique to naval.

Not always: Italian tankers had to wait forever between the introduction of their first packs which were introduced in update 1.73 (P40 “Leonccello” and M26 “Ariete”) and the standard tree, introduced in update 1.85.
They had to wait more than one year! (1.73 was released in November 2017 and 1.85 came out in December 2018).
But I admit, it’s the only example of that.
I think the standard tree will be part of the October/November update; naval trees are introduced either in May/June (USA, Germany, USSR, Japan, Italy) or in October/November (Britain).

As the VLT 2 was implemented as part of update 2.37 Seek & Destroy,

Moved to Implemented Suggestions. o7