Update 2.27.1.29

• Increased the number of fragments of high-explosive and fragmentation rounds of 20 mm cannons of ground vehicles and aircraft.
  • A bug that could cause the game client to crash after joining a battle has been fixed.

The current provided changelog reflects the major changes within the game as part of this Update. Some updates, additions and fixes may not be listed in the provided notes. War Thunder is constantly improving and specific fixes may be implemented without the client being updated.

6 Likes

“Increased the number of fragments of high-explosive and fragmentation rounds of 20 mm cannons of ground vehicles and aircraft.” This is good start to begin fixing Real Shatter fiasco, we really need more devastating feel to 20mm and higher calibers on aircraft cannons.

2 Likes

And what is with all the other weapons
Like 45mm-23mm?

1 Like

I hope this is done correctly and it is not a buff for German minen shells, since they are bullets that sacrifice fragments to have more explosive inside.

i think it may just be fixing the “real shatter” effect, which heavily nerfed fragments from 20mm shells.

1 Like

The patch addressed to me seems to be lost.

Well my version number is still 2.27.1.28, in the launcher and in-game.
And I really didn’t see if anything was downloaded, but my game stopped crashing and I managed to play 4 games before having to stop for work, so I’m a happy man, Thx!

20mm needs it bad, hope its a big buff!

In my opinion, Real SHATer should just be removed. While it is a more “realistic” mechanic it sacrfices more gameplay than the the improvement it could bring. I don’t think anyone had an issue with the previous way guns functioned except for the US 20mm velocity nerf that makes the long shots undoable now.

2 Likes

This change doesn’t make much difference, and MG151/MK108 still don’t have realshatter at all. About time you bring the pre-realshatter damage back because its no fun like this. Some planes heavily depended on being able to dispatch enemy quickly and not be presented with a loss game with 2 kills, 7 crits, and 24 hits. It’s kind of ridiculous how bad gun damage is

1 Like

Can you please fix MIG 27. There is a report 22 days old. Community Bug Reporting System

While the patch does what its description says (checked in protection analisis - the frag. number is indeed bigger) the main issue largely persist!
Namely that:

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/LcbI48DY3Y6x

The fragmentation and damage is still very inconsistent - which has always been the main problem with Real Shatter.
We still can get 0 fragments and/or 0 damage (part remains undamaged) - even from shells that have “fragmentation” in their name.

Im not saying that we should get a fixed amount of fragments every time but it shouldn’t vary this much - a “proper” amount of them should be generated each time, a bare minimum should be guaranteed.
But as for now it ranges from 0-1 to to the… “proper” amount (I dare to say thats at least 3 - which I guess isn’t realistic at all).
And besides of no fragmentation at all you can get no damage at all somehow
which is equally terrible (if not worse).

3 Likes

23mm’s were included.

Full list of cannons affected:

• 23 mm cannon Type 23-2K, 25 mm ADEN 25 cannon, 20 mm Akan m/41A cannon, 20 mm Akan m/45 cannon, 20 mm Akan m/47B cannon, 20 mm Akan m/47C cannon, 20 mm Akan m/49 cannon, 20 mm AN/M2 cannon, 20 mm M3 cannon, 20 mm B-20 cannon, 20 mm BT-20 cannon, 20 mm B-20M cannon, 20 mm B-20S cannon, 37 mm Breda Model 39 37/54 cannon, 20 mm Browning-Colt Mk12 Mod 0 cannon, 20 mm Browning-Colt Mk12 Mod 3 cannon, 20 mm GAU-4 cannon, 20 mm GAU-4 cannon, 20 mm GI2 cannon, 20 mm GIAT M.621 cannon, 23 mm GSh-23L cannon, 23 mm GSh-23L cannon, 23 mm GSh-23L cannon, 20 mm Hispano HS.9 cannon, 20 mm Hispano 404 cannon, 20 mm Hispano 404 cannon, 20 mm Hispano Mk.I cannon, 20 mm Hispano Mk.II cannon, 20 mm Hispano Mk.II cannon, 20 mm Hispano Mk.V cannon, 20 mm Hispano Mk.V cannon, 20 mm Ho-3 cannon, 20 mm Ho-5 cannon, 20 mm Ho-5 cannon, 20 mm Mk 11 cannon, 20 mm GAU-4 cannon, 20 mm JM61A1 cannon, 20 mm M24A1 cannon, 20 mm M39A1 cannon, 20 mm M39A2 cannon, 20 mm M39A3 cannon, 20 mm M50 cannon, 20 mm M61 cannon, 20 mm M61A1 cannon, 20 mm M195 cannon, 20 mm M197 cannon, 20 mm MG C/30L cannon, 20 mm Mk 11 mod 5 cannon, 23 mm NR-23 cannon, 23 mm NR-23 cannon, 23 mm NS-23 cannon, 23 mm NS-23K cannon, 20 mm Oerlikon FF cannon, 20 mm Oerlikon KAD-B cannon, 23 mm PTB-23 cannon, 20 mm ShVAK cannon, 20 mm ShVAK cannon, 20 mm ShVAK cannon, 20 mm ShVAK cannon, 20 mm FMC T-160 cannon, 20 mm T31 cannon, 20 mm TM197B cannon, 23 mm Type 23-3 cannon, 20 mm Type 97 cannon, 20 mm Ho-1 cannon, 20 mm Type 99 Model 1 cannon, 20 mm Type 99 Model 1 cannon, 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 cannon, 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 Mark 3 cannon, 20 mm Type 99 Model 2 Mark 5 cannon, 23 mm VYa-23 cannon : Shrapnels :
    • Radius Scale : 1.085 → 1.05
    • Portion Counts : 10 → 12

Funny how we used to have unique characteristics for particular guns, and now they just seem the same with a different name.

Except for the German 20mms of course, because they are somehow excluded from all this suffering.

1 Like

10,000 Hours Arcade, player here, 90% in Arcade Air. I really hope this fixes the time to kill. The time to kill in Arcade was perfect about 4-6 months ago minus the Ki’s(wayyy too good). Since realshatter, the game reminds me of 2017-2018(you know, when your game had one foot in the grave with under 10k players sometimes). It’s really depressing to have such a high time to kill for a highly experienced PvP player in Air, especially when my aim, positioning, and engagement timing are on the higher end of the bell curve. I should be rewarded for my precise aim, mechanics, and ability to maneuver the plane, and not have to turn around and lose my energy and position, chasing the enemy to the deck to finish the kill because all I’m getting are sparks and useless crits. There is nothing worse than this IMO. When the time to kill is so high in this game, not only does it greatly lower the skill ceiling, it’s reduces the ability to perform some of the really cool actions which made me fall in love with it in the first place. When the time to kill is so high (and inconsistent), it’s nearly impossible to perform high speed reversals into deflection kill shots, long range head ons, multi kills, snap shots, all the while being able to keep adequate energy and position to stay alive, which is earned through playtime and mastery. It also greatly reduces the roster of usable PvP planes. Same can be said with energy retention, damage models, but that’s a different story. The game at its core is a shooter and the mechanics of the game should be rewarding great performances with great results.

1 Like

Can you please create some univeral damage system like the penetration calculator for AP shells?

The current damage system makes no sense as it doesn’t take the kinetic energy of HE shells into account and all that matters is how much explosve a shell contains.
Doesn’t make any sense that a 20mm hitting a plane with 500m/s deals the same or more damage than a shell hitting at 800m/s.
Velocity would also determine the fragmentation cone.

We also don’t need any weird RNG fragmentation pattern. It’s completely random whether a 20mm HE shell will take out an engine in one hit or only deal 50% damage. Same with hits near a pilot.
While the sphere of doom is unrealistic, at least the damage was consistent due to the fragments being more or less consistent.
Now it’s just completely random whether fragments go to the side or to the rear of an explosive shell.

There’s also so many shells in-game that aren’t properly implemented.
I rather threw away all historical accuracy for rounds actually doing what they are suppose to do.
I mean just look at British 20mm SAP-I. It’s suppose to be armor piercing with incendiary effect but it just explodes on impact like HE.

20mm minengeschoss has always been mediocre, people like to claim “they’re op!!” when they’re really just some of the better shitty 20mms.

They’re not. I could destroy light pillboxes and medium tanks before RealShatter was implemented. Now I can’'t. Many german attackers are now useless in air RB ground pound.

Because the mg 151 are not the best in penetration, they were not made for ground attack.

Yeah, but it worked for so many years in this game, now it doesn’t. The devs are undecided.