Type 2 light tank

[Would you like to see this in-game?]
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

二式軽戦車

overview
As an improved version of the Type 98 light tank, the turret was changed to a wider cylindrical turret than before in order to improve the living comfort inside the narrow turret, and the main gun was changed to a 37mm tank gun.
It was also researched and developed as an airborne tank that could be transported by glider, and improvements were made such as eliminating unevenness on the body surface and making it flat.
development
Development was carried out under the secret name ``Keto Car’', and the prototype vehicle was completed in 1941.
It was formalized the following year in 1942.
production and deployment
Although the Keto became official in 1942, development of a set of 37mm tank guns to be equipped with it was difficult.
Because the completion of the main gun was delayed until 1943, production began in 1944, and 29 vehicles were produced in the same year.

The completed vehicle will be deployed to the 1st Assault Tank Corps of the 1st Assault Group, the Army’s airborne force.
The 1st Expedition Group was mobilized to defend Leyte Island in December 1944, but due to transportation problems, the tank corps remained on the mainland and the war ended.

spec
Total length: 4.10m
Overall width: 2.12m
Total height: 1.82m
Complete weight: 7.2t
Crew: 3 people
Engine: Control type 100 4-stroke in-line 6-cylinder air-cooled diesel
Maximum output: 130hp/2,100rpm
Maximum speed: 50km/h
Cruising distance: 300km
Armament: Complete set of 46 caliber 37mm tank gun x 1 (75-93 rounds)
Type 97 vehicle-mounted 7.7mm heavy machine gun x 1 (3,160 rounds)
Armor thickness: 6-16mm

sauce
http://hneck.web.fc2.com/wartankJA2Lketo.htm

http://gunsight.jp/c/tank-3D%20Type2.htm

7 Likes

+1, as a BR 1.3 tank.

1 Like

Japan really needs some love, even at low tier IMHO. So this would be a good addition, especially to the first TT branch that currently stops at the Ka-Mi.
Thank goodness it has the Type 1 gun and not the Type 94 which is a real rubber ball shooter.

1 Like

yes +1

1 Like

This is an easy add because the chassis is already in game

1 Like

Give us all the Japanese tanks, no matter what! +1

1 Like

It’s not in the game. We have the Ke-ni prototype in-game, and the Ke-To is based on the production version, featuring slighty thicker armour and different shape of the front hull. I hope they’ll also the production Ke-Ni somewhere in the future.

1 Like

my bad.

1 Like

Possibly a Ke-To unless it is a Ke-Ni production, equipped with a camera for some reason.

The Ke-To also had a stand on the back for transporting infantry soldiers.

Hard to tell which one when you can’t see the length of gun barrel.

6 Likes

Out of all possible Japanese low BR tanks I want the late model Type 89 the most.

1 Like

Why a camera and build like that?

1 Like

It’s a camera x.com

6 Likes

Isn’t this the Ke-Ni?

I thought the Ke-To only has two return rollers, at least as it is described on the gunsight.jp website

1 Like

It looks similar but it’s different

1 Like

So what’s the tank on on the bottom image i shared

This is a type 2 light tank

1 Like

So you are saying that these two are both the Type 2 Ke-To?

But I think I may be partially correct (or at least on the right track) about the return roller information. Originally, I assumed Wikipedia to be totally wrong (it has been before tbf), and that the Ke-To was actually what we see below.

However, there are so many websites that say the below is the Type 2 Ke-To, that I wanted to be sure.

But I think the above tank is actually a combination of the Type 98 Ke-Ni A Production chassis
chassis, with a Type 2 Ke-To turret.

We know for sure what the turret of the Ke-To looked like, as we have surviving examples of the Ka-Mi, which borrowed the Ke-To’s turret (if it was modified extensively, someone let me know). Additionally, we know that in comparison to its Ke-Ni predecessor, the Ke-To’s turret was enlarged.

And I think the chassis is from the Type 98 Ke-Ni because of these images I have from a tank driving manual:

structureLift

Notice how the suspension has been moved inside the vehicle. In both above images, you cannot see any part of the famous bell-crank suspension. And now, finally, here is an image of the Type 4 work vehicle, which was converted from the Ke-To:

It has only two return rollers.

So, in summary, here are my theories:

1. Ke-To refers to a single type of vehicle with only two return rollers.
  2. Ke-To refers to a series of light tanks that began with the combination of an enlarged turret a Ke-Ni chassis, ending with this vehicle:

1. Or I’m totally wrong about everything, and the Type 4 work vehicle chassis was modified specifically for that variant, and has nothing to do with the original Ke-To.
4 Likes

I think it may be a Ke-To. I used the turret of the Ka-Mi and the number of rivets/screws as a reference. We know that the turret of the Ka-Mi borrowed the Ke-To turret. Biggest difficulty for me is differentiating between the Ke-To turret and Ke-Ni Production turret lol

2 Likes