Tiran-6: The Last of the Captured Soviets

Would you like the Tiran-6 to be added to the game?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
How should it be added?
  • Tech Tree
  • Premium
  • Event
  • Battlepass
  • Squadron
  • I said no
0 voters
What BR should it have?
  • Other (comment)
  • I said no
0 voters

Tiran-6: The Last of the Captured Soviets

History:

During the various wars that Israel has fought with its Arab neighbors, many pieces of equipment have been captured and turned on their former masters. In 1972, reports of a new tank being given to Egypt and Syria prompted raids and intelligence work by Israeli commandos. This tank turned out to be the now-famous T-62. Given to Egypt and Syria as an upgrade to their older T-54/55 series tanks, the T-62 would see heavy use by both nations during the 1973 Yom Kippur War. The vehicles put up stiff resistance, particularly in the hands of the better-trained elements of the Syrian army, but Israel still managed to knock out hundreds.
Spoiler

One of the many wrecked Syrian T-62s littering the Golan Heights.

The Syrians were excellent tankers, but as the war progressed and the outcome looked bleaker for them with each passing day, many began surrendering or fleeing, leaving their tanks totally intact. This meant that Israel was able to capture huge numbers of T-62s and they soon would be incorporated into the Israeli Army as the Tiran-6, the last tank to bear the Tiran name. These tanks received a number of upgrades to better fit in Israeli service, but not nearly as many as other tanks in the Tiran family. The Tiran-6 was primarily a reserve brigade vehicle, only having seen any major combat use during 1982’s Operation peace for Galilee in Lebanon. Following this conflict, they were retired from active service as the M60 became more plentiful, and many were sold off to other countries.

Description:

As mentioned, the modifications received were minimal compared to the Tiran-4Sh and Tiran-5Sh. The gun remained the 115mm U-5TS smoothbore, meaning that Israeli tankers had to rely on captured ammunition. This is one of the primary reasons why the tank stayed a second-line vehicle. Experiments to mount the 105mm gun were performed, but that is for another suggestion. Modifications which WERE performed include:
  • Extra stowage boxes welded to the turret sides and rear
  • Two mounts for Browning M1919 .30 caliber machine guns were added to the roof
  • A Browning M2HB .50 caliber heavy machine gun was added above the main gun, like on many later Israeli tanks
  • Mudguards were added to the tracks, and infantry comms equipment was fitted to the rear of the tank along with first aid boxes
  • Spare track links were affixed to the vehicle as extra armor
  • M48 Patton-style headlamps replaced the Soviet ones
  • Coaxial PKT was replaced by M1919

Mostly cosmetic, but some upgrades in terms of machine guns. The engine, main armor, main gun, and FCS were not touched. There have been some reports that Blazer ERA was fitted, but proof has yet to be seen, and no images of this exist as of yet. I believe this could make an interesting addition to the game, and it would help fill out the Israeli Tech Tree nicely!

Specifications:

Spoiler

Main Armament: 115mm U-5TS cannon

Secondary Armament: 1x 12.7mm M2HB heavy machine gun (above the main gun), 3x 7.62mm M1919 machine guns (coaxial, loader’s hatch, commander’s hatch)

Armor: 100mm front (upper and lower), 80mm sides, 45mm rear, 30mm roof, 20mm floor, 240mm turret front (max), 165mm turret sides (max), 65mm turret rear, 60mm turret roof (rear), 30mm turret roof (front), additional stowage bins and track links scattered around the vehicle

Ammo count: 40 115mm rounds, 1000 12.7mm rounds, 5000 7.62mm rounds (estimated)

Engine: ChTZ V-55V V12 Diesel, 518HP

Transmission: 5 forward gears, 1 reverse

Vertical Guidance: -6/+16

Crew: 4 (Driver, Commander, Gunner, Loader)

Smoke: ESS

Gallery:

Spoiler

If there is anything I have missed or gotten incorrect, please let me know! I hope you enjoyed reading this, and I hope you will also check out my other suggestions! Thanks, and have a great day.

Sources:

Spoiler

State of Israel (Cold War) - Tank Encyclopedia

Scalehobbyist.com: Israeli Tiran-6 MBT by Trumpeter Models

In Development: Tiran 6 | Armored Warfare - Official Website

T-62 - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Suggestion passed to the developers for consideration.

1 Like