The water with RT enabled

Everything else looks great with RT enabled but… There’s something not right, it’s not suppose to look like oil isn’t it?
(I know it’s WIP but still, is this something that you are going to adjust?)

(This is RT disabled for water)

(This is RT enabled)

The darkened theme is even more obvious for other maps

Just a couple more for reference of what I am talking about

It’s literally oil

1 Like

8 Likes

did-someone-say-800ed77704

2 Likes

And also this

You can clearly tell the reflection on the lower chassis isn’t suppose to have this weird lighting, something is off with your water.

2 Likes

actually to some degree yes it is, look at actual photography references for water reflections. if there is any disturbance in the water you get an almost identical reflection you see in your first image, unless the water is still and calm then you will NOT get an almost mirror like reflection

The 2 images below kinda show what I am on about, also the viewing angle matters a lot (as evident by image 1)

Spoiler

capturing-water-reflections-of-animals
City-reflection-at-blue-hour

Your 2nd image is less what I would expect but again this could also just be due to how the camera is angled vs your slightly elevated position from the water edge.

it still looks very wrong regardless

not really, its about what you would expect for water that isnt calm.

You also have to remember RT by design has a denoise filter which often “smears” the reflections (this is what ray reconstruction solves) it looks like to some degree the water has a high denoise but I can also understand why (performance) but in some areas the water reflection is accurate to what you would see

yeah generally it would be what you’re expecting yet it still looks uncanny and unimmersive

Spoiler

this image for instance it just looks so goofy, the rock reflections barely even look lik rocks and the colours are all wrong, it just looks blurry not shimmery like water should

thats the thing, water doesnt normally reflect like this, a lot of photography reflections are actually post process during edit, when you view a lot of these IRL they are not remotely close to what you see in images. trust me I did a lot of this years ago.

the only water that would normally reflect almost like a mirror is puddles due to them being calm but also shallow, the shallowness plays a huge part due to refractions of light etc. its hard to explain.

You may have a point about the colours but the over “clarity” of the reflection is about what you “should” expect unless you want to vastly up the ray bounces which would put even a 4090 to its knees :D the water could do with a bit more “colour” though, but they could still be working on this

Ill show what I mean about clarity:

Spoiler

2019-01-14-08-04-02-960x589
2019-01-14-08-28-15-960x569

First image is basically what normal water reflections would look like, 2nd image is much more calmer water but even still, any minor disturbance still creates a “smeared” look, they 100% could do with brightening the overall water colour up, but im also wondering if that has something to do with the texture underneath the water being darker so creates this effect

1 Like

true but it still doesn’t look right in war thunder, uncanny as i said

if you have any pics of the sea reflection vs coastlines that would help determine if they are using a darker texture beneath the rivers/lakes in some maps

I want to point out that even on the darkest instance waters in your pic have a high luminosity than what it reflects. This is not the case in the game since the water is substantially darker than the surroundings, I am guessing they perhaps set an absorption value that is too high for these waters.

1 Like

It’s the dev server, it’s subject to change, and I’m sure it’s being fixed.

Well that’s why I am bring it up for dev’s attention cuz it ludicrous to improve the graphic to such high standard but leaving waters like a pond of oil

A helper said the devs have stated they are fixing it asof right now.

2 Likes