The saddening situation bombers are in

Nah, I remember the early days where a B-17’s gunners could eradicate any fighter that came close

A bomber rework would be lovely. I personally enjoy flying bombers and I want more bombers in-game especially cold war ones but atm bomber meta is shite ngl.

5 Likes

Valid for prop Air RB:

After reading this thread i am not sure if most of the posters have realized that you try to find workarounds for a situation which is fully intended by gaijin.

Just a short reminder:

1. You decided to play a vehicle based shooter (PvP) - which is dominated by kids in fighters playing a pew-pew game - and want to increase the chances of a vehicle class which is designed to be a PvE plane.

2. On top of that - gaijin made classic bomber game play useless in May 2020 (introduction of respawning bases) and reduced it to a plain grinding tool.

3. Every “buff” of bombers would “hurt” the average fighter pilot - this won’t happen as the “outcry” of fighter players would be way louder than the “Yipee” of the few really experienced bomber pilots still playing the game.

A short feedback regarding the proposals / suggestions i saw:

• Some of them make sense (like higher spawn alt) others were discussed in countless other threads (like ai gunners) but if you watched the development of prop Air RB in the last 3-5 years: There was not a single measure by gaijin which was in favor or bombers; all i saw were countless open and hidden nerfs.

• Imho the only way to change anything for the better is to change game mechanics & rewards so that bombers can actually contribute to the team effort (=base kills need a higher ticket impact, destructible main airfield) and to make it worth (=rewards) to defend own bombers.

• So changing their role from being dead weight to a valuable part of your team.

• Last but not least: Too many bomber players have way too low ambitions to become good at the game - they are happy if they make it to a base no matter what comes after the drop, and if they got killed: Next match = pure selfish grinding.

7 Likes

I have said this before but look at the difference between the map you do the Test flight over and the map you actually play the game on.

Take Stalingrad,the Destructible Bridges,Trains,Boats. Imagine attacking the factories and airfields there.Same with the Pearl Harbour type scenario,bombing ships and oil tankers etc.
That is an air game I would play not bombing a couple of discs ,many of which are gone by the time you got there leaving you with a wasted game and wasted time.

It seems like Gaijin never could weave a good game into the PVP scenario when it comes to air battles.

4 Likes

A few weeks ago, I was flying my B-29 (personal favourite WW2 bomber), and there were 3 other B-29 players on our team. All of us were spread out over a large distance, as high as possible and on our ways to our respected bombing bases.
An enemy MiG-15 effortlessly reached above our altitudes, killed all of them one by one, eventually I was the final one (nearest bomber to me was 15km away), almost at my base, I knew he was coming.
I eventually managed to dzmage his engine a bit with my tail gunner, but 1.5km behind me he quivkly cut off my tail in one small burst.

Noone reached their targets, because of one MiG-15.

15 Likes

Now I wanna do a B-29 formation. This sounds like something that would have happened over Korea during the war.

3 Likes

Not feeling like these would be a good combination. Bomber turrets are already EXTREMELY stupid to deal with, especially running the risk of dying to .50cal turrets oneshotting your pilot or setting your wing afire. Bombers ESPECIALLY at lower tiers are TOO tanky. If you look at some images of 30 mm MK-108s impacting a bomber, i believe they should get folded in 1-3 hits.

It is accurate. You have to deal with nearly 200 mph of wind hitting your barrel, and that the gun is not in a fixed forward mount.

Only stuff like B-29 and Tu-4 should go any lower, but 6.0 and 6.3 is TOO low. 7.0 minimum. Ju 288 needs to go up though.

When one of the objectives is “defending your bases” they SHOULD be able to kill the bomber before hit gets to drop.

1 Like

B-29 should be at 6.7 at the highest. Jets can easily eat it alive

2 Likes

Yeah thats true

2 Likes

The amount of 0.50 cal kills I’ve gotten versus the amount of times I’ve died to a fighter are probably 1:20 or more. Fire damage from a bomber doesn’t seem to do much, at least from what I remember (but of course the bomber’s entire airframe will catch on fire from two bullets from a fighter).

Only on the lightest and lowest-BR bombers, maybe.

But the MG gunner is either holding onto the gun itself or the MG is held in place by a hydraulic/pneumatic system. At the very least both of these aspects should negate any wind-related bullet spread.

Do you know where they are currently? 6.3 should be the highest any prop bomber should be. I mean, they still would run into jets 90% of the time (and really they shouldn’t be seeing jets at all).

No fighter on your team should get to a base before you do (i.e. make fighter/attack aircraft stealing bases impossible).

3 Likes

It is at 5.7 at it’s lowest then.

This is interesting as people say " Oh yeah Korea ",B29 faced migs but they never mention the losses of the B29 and how it was relegated to night missions as a result.

So how much fun is the B29 against Mig 15s? Are your pals in Sabre’s sticking with you and helping out? It was hard not to laugh typing that last bit : )

2 Likes

Exactly, its not fun at all this way 😅

Also, panther tanks were used until the early 50s (France and Romania). Have fun with that, historical MM lovers XD

1 Like

Yeah the reason for heaving an un-modded Pershing around at 8 MPH in the face of a Swedish 50s tank with 400MM of pen. ODL you say?

Like the difference between having a rucksack full of bricks in the uptier and ruck sack full of beer in the down tier.

1 Like

Yeah

Bombers used to be high risk=high reward even before. You would bring a bomber with big repair cost but got a chance to rank up an even better score.

Your idea isn’t bad but it makes the player even more reliant on other players.

1 Like

To those that mentioned AI gunners. I know that they are nerfed to shreds but I think it also encourages the player to try and get rid of the enemy plane themselves. I don’t really have a problem with that. The only problem I have is the distance at which firing lines collide from different gunners. For example with BV-238.

Ju-288 and Be-6 should go higher in BR. It’s because of those two that we have some nerfs after all

1 Like

B-29 vs MiG-15. Good luck

1 Like

I’ve managed to destroy a couple of jets with my He-177 before. Just don’t allow them to close in