The R-77 is terribly bad on its combat rating

You can

This is not correct. AMRAAM has longer effective range, yes. But it’s not triple of what R-77 has. When fired at around 15000ft/5km 1.4+ mach, AMRAAM has great pK up to 25-30km. Under similar conditions you can fire R-77 at around 20km and get similar results, which isn’t half bad. On the flip side, after the nerf to it’s maneuverability it is hard to kill people below 4km range with AMRAAMS while R-77 is still viable unless you’re basically at merge.

1 Like

Or… Model things accurately to the best of available historical data and just accept that the soviets are no longer the meta nation. (just a reminder. Aim-120 is currently underperforming a LOT compared to IRL specs at the moment in game. Plenty of active bug reports for it)

IRL BVR Combat was what the soviets were worse at (and still are)

5 Likes

That’s rich considering that USA has been enjoying the Meta position since the introduction of the F-14 with a short intermission where Sweden took the crown with the Gripen.

The main problem at hand right now is that the BR system isn’t being properly utilized. The entire point of BRs is to ensure that vehicles are matched up against their PEERS. Only a fool would argue that the 27SM and F-15C are remotely in the same league. My AV-8B+ at 13.0 is significantly deadlier than my 27SM at both WVR and BVR combat. Basically every single plane armed with SPAMRAAMS could comfortably go up 0.7 or 1.0 BR.

Also rich since right now Russia is inferior at BVR due to inferior missiles, worse at medium ranges due to the crushing 10km ACM handicap, and worse WVR due to crippled brick-like flight models. Look at the absolute state of people queuing up for Sim lobbies. The game’s balance is the worst state that it has been in YEARS. The only thing halfway keeping a lid on the gross imbalance is US players insistence on equipping 300,000lbs of bombs whenever the option presents itself.

7 Likes

Thank you, I didn’t find exactly this one, I only saw the CIS forum with new pixel storm accounts

R-77s can be normal at 25-30km, yes. But let me clarify that they are useless at long distances and it is easier to take the R-27ER, they are good at long distances and in close combat too. I went a little too far in numbers, but if you think about it, the probability of hitting the R-77 even from 15km is still quite low, compared to the AIM-120 and AIM-54

And before that it was MiG-23 vs F-4

Engineering skill issue my friend blame sukhoi that can’t make better radar than the west

2 Likes

The problem is not that someone can or not in real life, the point is that the game developers are trying to get into balance, then the su-27 and CM need to lower the combat rating, for example

Flankers don’t need to be going down in battle rating. They’re outclassed at their present BR but we don’t need Su-27’s fighting F-4 phantoms (except maybe the ICE). It’s the F-15’s and such that need to go up in BR. This includes the F-15A since it shouldn’t be fighting phantoms either.

In fact, the topic of BR is quite wide and if you think about it, you can recycle a lot of equipment in terms of their BR. When I wrote that it needs to be understated, I just meant that developers should at least do something to balance the game, and changing the BR is one of the ways

brother there is no point in telling russian speaking soviet mains that soviet equipment is actually garbage irl

3 Likes

So then the superior NATO equipment should receive a higher BR appropriate for being so superior to the Russian alternative.

LMAO!! Russia suffer moments in display
When Russia meta it’s fine but when it’s not it need lower BR hah lost count how many time i see something like this in display
other endured it for years from Russia dominate but this not even a year yet

1 Like

The R-77 and other ARH missiles aren’t getting removed. Sorry not sorry.

Just ask gaijin to model realistic drag characteristics to the missile, it’s supposed to have high amount of induced drag (as in higher drag when turning, but moderate drag in level straight flight).

Yea this is already talked about in the SU-27 post Sukhoi Su-27/30/33/35/37 Flanker series & Su-34 Fullback - History, Design, Performance & Dissection - #4661 by MythicPi
The chaff resistant is also worse.

You’re going to get the arguments of the following:

• Russian stuff is dogshit so they should just suffer.
  • Actually the SU-27 is good if you play good, no shit Sherlock.
  • BUTTTT!!! WHAT ABOUT THE R-27ER IN THE LAST PAST!!! (When the multipathing from last update was 100m, people somehow forgot the JA-39 was the king of last update.).
6 Likes

Could you not use the R-27ER against the AMRAAMs? That is what it was designed for IIRC

Yeah that works

Currently the R-77 itself is not that bad, but the J-11A/Su-27SM has quite a few bad features

This is the result of the wrong airframe, bad radar, and mediocre missiles.

1 Like